Day 32

<Pudding Cup's PoV>

Day 32 - January 11th

It's been 32 days since the prince chose his bride to be. Watermelon. She made a bad first impression with me.

Tripped over and blames me for not catching her even though I was a couple meters away and there was a soldier right next to her. 

Looks at me like I'm some sort of critter.

Sucking up to the prince. From the looks of it, she's going to become the queen.

And in that case, I'm going to have to start liking her if I'm to serve her until my dying breathe.

Even so, it gets on my ner

"Hello Blancmange!" I hear the prince say. I crumple up the paper that I'm writing on immediately and stand up to turn around and look at him.

"Good afternoon, Prince Oreo," I say in my monotone voice, like any other day.

"What are you doing?" he asks me.

"Writing things," I tell him, quickly adding right afterwards, "Private things."

"I understand," he tells me, shrugging. He flops down on my creaky bed and looks at the ceiling. 

I sit back down at my desk, staring blankly at the piece of crumpled up paper.

"Watermelon is pretty great!" he starts.

Oh god. Oh no. Oh no. This has been going on for the past days. He would just gush over Watermelon and how she's just "so great" and the "most perfect being to exist". Frankly, it's sickening how much he loves her. He's just going crazy about her. 

"I mean, it's like she..." he thinks for a minute before he says, "she's just so cool!"

"Yes, Prince Oreo. I know," I tell him, mildly exasperated. Hearing somebody you sincerely care about, gushing hours on end about another person you don't have a good feeling about isn't exactly the best experience.

"God, It's just like Mom and Dad," he continues. His voice is so full of sweetness.

"Indeed," I respond simply.

"Anyways!" he exclaims, bolting upright.

"I have a date planned with her!" he tells me. There it is. The familiar twinge in my chest. What IS this? It needs to go, right away.

"Could you... help me?" he asks me.

"It's the exact same thing as the ball, Prince Oreo. Eye contact, don't be too flustered, maintain conversation," I tell him, a cold hint to my voice.

He seems to notice the distance in my voice and loses a bit of his cool.

"Well, uh... I'll be heading out now. You're okay?" he asks me.

"Yes, your highness," I respond, as he gets up and walks to the door.

"Actually, your highness," I call out to him. He looks back at me from the door, listening.

"I seem to have.... misplaced the doll of my father. Would you be able to inform me if you ever find out about it's whereabouts?" 

"Of course!" he tells me, smiling warmly. He exits the room, closing the door gently.

I stare at the door that he had just exited and am silent for a minute, before looking back at my desk blankly.

I heave a sigh, massaging my temples. I don't understand what that... pain in my heart was. 

The only explanation for it would be that I have fallen for the prince and that I'm jealous or something absurd like that. But that is... highly unlikely. And even if it was true, I would never be able to or allowed to express these emotions, what with him having a wife-to-be and all.

I abruptly stand up, and leave my room.

I needed a task to do, anything that would distract me from the unexplainable and unpredictable pains in my chest and the insane ideas I was beginning to think up. I go down five flights of stairs, and begin looking for the task board. 

Any of the castle's residents could put up a task on the board, as long as they named their name and position. Then, somebody -- most of the time somebody of a lower class -- approaches the person who put up a task. The task doer then ask the tasker for permission to do their task, and once permission is granted, they do the task. A reward must always be presented.

As I examine the board, I hear the clacking of heels behind me.

I bite my lower lip.

Only two people in this whole castle wears heels. And the queen is currently on a trip to an international queens' meeting.

I try to ignore the noise, reading the board.

Tasker: Quill Golden, Script Writer

Task: Proofreading a script for a speech that will be said at the annual fair 

Preferred Task Doer: Scholar

Reward: 40 silver coins and a slice of apple pie (only if you would like some)

"Hello... Blancmange, was it?" I hear her crisp voice ring out from behind me.

I turn around, rather reluctantly.

"Good afternoon," I greet her, slightly cringing inside.

"Good afternoon to you too! It's a good thing I run into you here, actually! I needed somebody to help me bake something in the kitchen. I was about to put up a task right now," she tells me, smiling a wide, fake grin, holding up a piece of paper with some writing on it. "Would you be interested in helping me out? The reward is 20 gold coins."

Okay. On one hand, this is fucking Watermelon. Bad feeling, haunting my nightmares, arrogant ass Watermelon. On the other hand, this task is a SUPER easy one and I get paid an INSANE amount of money, considering I'm literally only helping her bake something. 

Shit, why not. Maybe I'm overreacting. Maybe I'm being irrational. I can make final decisions while baking a cake or some shit with her.

"I don't see why not."

A/N:

u THOUGHT i was dead, finally fucking wrote more in this fanfic

anyways, i went back and reread some bits from the last chapters and realized a BUNCH of stuff made absolutely no fuckin sense so lemme re summarize real quick.

oreo does NOT know who pudding cups dad is.

he does NOT know his name or anything about him. in chapter one pudding cup mentioned his name and stuff. PLS IGNORE THAT

Another one: this story DOES take place somewhere in the late 2000's early 2010's

is anything seems super old timey in the older chapters IGNORE PLS, MY MISTAKE )^:

i had been writing this story without any actual planning when i wrote those chapters and a bunch of stuff made literally no sense at all 

If there are any other discrepancies pls pls tell me so that i can clear it up thank you