Home Alone

Two more days passed, and were much the same. One good thing was that it was finally Friday. The fact that Tom and his hunting buddies were leaving for a hunting trip made it even better. Peace, she thought, and smiled broadly. She picked up the kids from school and drove home. Upon arrival, she found Tom had already left, much to her delight. Shortly after dinner, her cellphone chirped. It was a message from Tom informing her that they had arrived. She simply replied, okay. 

       She made a hot cup of tea and walked onto the front porch. She sat down on the rocking chair and decompressed after a long week. The rain had almost stopped and tomorrow was supposed to be beautiful. A good day to cruise, she mused as she subconsciously looked towards her neighbor's yard. Soon, the kids bounded into the doorway excitedly exclaiming that Aunt Sarah wanted them to come over and stay through Sunday. She smiled and she knew her sister well. This was her sister's way of helping Regina relax. No Tom, no kids, just herself and a bottle, or two, of wine. So perfect! She thought.

       She stood up, went inside, and packed the children's clothes. She and the children got into the car and drove down the block to Sarah's. After giving them goodbye kisses and hugging her sister, Regina exclaimed, "Wine Time!" As she got into her car. She drove to the grocery store and purchased bottle two bottles of her favorite Merlot. By the time she left the store, the rain had stopped. She walked back to her car and drove towards home. She turned into her development and made her way towards home. She rounded the first corner and subconsciously slowed as she approached a certain house. She could see that his garage door was open, but his Jeep was in the driveway. As she slowly passed, she could see him exercising in the garage. She caught a glimpse of him from behind, shirtless, he was kickboxing. She noticed tattoos on his back, but could not see them clearly. She caught herself, blushed, and drove home.

       She drove into the garage and unloaded her wine. She walked into the kitchen, found the wine opener, uncorked her first bottle, and poured a sizable glass of Merlot. She intently listened to the sound of nothing. It's funny how the sound of silence seems odd. We are so caught up with the hustle and bustle, we rarely experience, let alone cherish, silence. She relished it for a long moment. With her nerves calmed, she walked back to the front porch and sat in her favorite rocking chair. Soon she finished her first glass and was well into her second when she noticed someone approaching while jogging.

       The shape edged ever closer and soon the street lights revealed that it was her neighbor. He was striding along with earbuds in. Her porch was dark as he passed and he didn't notice her. She was thankful for that considering that she had changed into her comfy clothes and felt super-mommish. She laughed at her newly coined term and watched as he passed by. Regrettably, he did have his shirt back on and his legs were a little obscured by running pants. So nice! She thought as she grinned. She found herself watching him until he was out of sight. Soon, she finished her second glass and went back into the house. She sat on the couch started a series on Netflix. Eventually she drifted off to sleep.