A Burden Shared

They unbuckled and he stepped out of the Jeep. She locked her purse in the center console and grabbed her cellphone. They met at the front of the Jeep. "Well, how far would you like to walk?"James asked. She mumbled to herself, "As far as I can to get away from Tom." She didn't think that James heard her, but he did. She just shrugged and smiled. Acting as if he hadn't hear her he said "We will walk until you say stop! Ladies choice!" Regina smiled and said "Fair enough, follow me!" James smiled and said "Yes mam, you're the boss!" and walked beside her. 

       After a few steps Regina turned and said, "You loaded a cooler right?" "Yes mam, I did." He responded. "Do you have glasses?" She asked. "Well, I have two water bottles, is that okay?" He answered. "That will work fine." She said with a smile. With that, Regina turned and walked back to the Jeep. When she returned, she had the bottle of wine and two water bottles and a mischievous grin. James couldn't help but laugh. "What's so funny!" Regina asked? "Not you, I promise. I have to get a certain amount of steps in for my work wellness program, and I have never thought to carry wine with me. It's genius!" He grinned and both shared a heartfelt laugh.
They walked around the lake observing the beauty of their surroundings. It was early spring and flowers were just beginning to bloom. Blossoms were everywhere. "Thank you so much for bringing me along for the ride. I really needed to unwind." she said. James smiled and said "No, thank you for coming, its nice to have someone to converse with." As they walked, Regina found herself opening up to James. He nodded and genuinely looked sad as she expressed her burdens.

       "Enough about me, I am talking your ear off" she said. "Not at all, I am happy to just listen." He said. She could see an understanding in his eyes. At that, she smiled and exclaimed "This is far enough! Time for wine!" James smiled and said "Don't think me to be stupid, but how are you going to open that." As he looked at the bottle of wine. "Oh, you don't have a knife?" she asked. "No mam, sorry, I don't. I didn't think to bring one." He said with a look of concern. She smiled, he passed test number three, he just didn't know it! No self-respecting serial killer would be without a knife, she mused. "I've got you covered" she said. She smiled and withdrew a small red Swiss army knife from her pocket. She had retrieved it from her purse when she went back to the Jeep for the water bottles. She opened up the small corkscrew opener. She proudly told James, "A women has to be ready for her wine at all times!" His laugh was sincere. It had been so long since she had someone to laugh with.

       Okay, give me the water bottles, Regina said. She poured out the water and carefully filled them up with wine. She handed one to James and she motioned for him to have a seat. For a long moment they just sipped on the wine and watched the water fowl play in the lake. Regina could see James watch her from the corner of her eye. His look was sometimes forlorn, but more often with a smile. At one point she turned and met his gaze, he blushed and looked away.
Regina studied him as he looked away. He was not a tall man, just a few inches taller than she; however, he was fit. She noticed speckles of gray in his hair and in his beard stubble. A movie star he wasn't, but he was undeniably cute. His kindness and warm smile melted her in a way which she wasn't accustomed to.

       He looked back and found her studying him. He smiled and said "Isn't this beautiful?" as he peered across the lake? "Yes it is" she responded, but she wasn't referring to the surroundings. She finished the last of her wine and began to pour another. "Do you want some more." she asked with a smile. "Yes mam, please. Just a smidgen more, if you will." He politely answered. She obliged and gave him more than a smidgen. In fact, she almost overfilled his bottle. His eyes widened and she laughed. She handed him the nearly over-flowing bottle and they turned and surveyed the lake again. She broke the silence by moving closer to him. Now they were sitting right beside each other. She looked at him and asked "Tell me honestly, have you thought about me since we first saw each other?" His face turned a slight shade of pink. "Honestly, yes I have, frequently." he said. She looked away, fighting back tears.

       When she faced him he noticed the tears welling up in her eyes and he smiled. He reached out and reassuringly touched her hand for comfort. His touch surprised her as she flinched. I'm sorry, I don't mean to startle you!" he implored. He started to rise, but she grabbed his hand and pulled him back down. "No, it's okay, sit back down, please." They talked for hours. The sun was beginning to to dip on the horizon when James said "I better get you home before someone files a missing person report." She laughed and retorted "No one will miss me, I'm alone this weekend."

       She reached down and rested her hand against James hand. She slowly put her hand over his and squeezed. "Thank you for listening to to me." She said softly. He met her gaze and squeezed her hand back. With a sweet smile, he softly said "Anytime."She stared out at the lake and leaned her head against his shoulder. She felt him lean his head against hers. They sat wordless as the sun fully set.