Chapter 1: Starting Over

Eve

My mother always told me three things: don't drink so much that you're sloppy, stay away from scary men, and never run away from your fears.

Two of those were in my control.

I couldn't follow any of them.

I lived in New York my whole life, Manhattan, if you'd believe it. I woke up to the sound of horns honking on a busy street, fell asleep to the sound of buses driving by. People don't see you in New York, too many other things to look at. I suppose that's why I made myself so visible at school.

Contrary to what most would think, I went to a relatively small high school. It was there that I lived the last four years to the fullest: good grades, well-balanced social life, an athlete. It had been my plan for as long as I could remember to continue with college in New York. I loved the area, close to home, close to my sister.

It was three months ago that everything had changed. It was the summer before my Senior year. It was supposed to be the best summer of my life.

San Diego was my fresh start.

I was far away from him. I was far away from every reminder of him.

The taxi halted to a stop, and I shifted the sunglasses on my face. After paying the driver, I grabbed my small suitcase from beside me and took my first step onto my college campus: Hazen University. The heat hit my face immediately, and I could already feel the humidity setting into my wild curls. The freshly watered grass squished under my boots, and my stomach fluttered as the smell of donuts wafted to my nose. Such blue skies, so many trees.

The beauty of the city almost made everything worth it. I wondered what my mom thought when she realized I wasn't coming home, after I snuck out to catch my plane. I wondered if it made her put down her drink, or just pick up another.

Considering the fact that she hadn't stopped drinking since my dad left, nearly 6 years ago, I figured it was the latter.

I made it Jenny, I thought, my thoughts as always shifting to my sister, We're gonna be okay.

The heat bounced off my bare legs, seeping into my black shorts. I had a white cropped top on- not revealing too much, never revealing much again. I had a zillion rings, ear piercings, and bracelets on, a trait that Jenny used to say was my way of concealing who I really was.

I rounded the corner and found myself standing in front of the dorm buildings, all hidden by what seemed like a forest of palm trees and tall bushes. The air was cooler, grateful for the shade provided by the houses. My blue suitcase trailed behind me, and I smiled politely at the other students passing by me.

"Need some help with that?"

I turned towards the voice and found a boy-- a boy standing far too close to me. My skin itched from his proximity, my lungs tight from the smell of his cologne, and once again I was reminded of why I had to move across the country. But how was he supposed to know about my issues?

He had buzzed beach-blonde hair, dull blue eyes, yet a surprisingly charming smile. He looked tall, maybe a full head taller than me. All in all, he reminded me way too much of him, and I was saddened to realize that forgetting my past wouldn't be as easy as I thought it would be.

"I mean, your dorm room could be far away. I wouldn't want your arms to get tired," he explained with a smirk, his eyes glued to my chest.

I blinked, surprised at his boldness. "Do you think you could show me where Building C is?" Maybe my first impression of him was wrong.