Chapter 6: Finally Opening Up

Eve

"Dammit Eve, tell me what happened to you," Kate begged in my ear, her voice cracking at the end. I felt the softness of her pink robe against my leg and, for once, I actually felt as if somebody was there for me.

"I can't. Why don't you understand that?" I sobbed. Saying it out loud would make this all too real. I didn't even tell Jenny what happened to me. She probably figured it out, but I had never said those words out loud. Those words that felt poisonous whenever I tested them on my tongue.

"You don't need to go through this all on your own. Just tell me," she repeated.

We sat in silence after that, the only thing heard was my sobs, wracking through my body, one after the other. My chest burned, the tears stinging my face as they slid down my cheeks. Were we quiet for a minute? An hour?

"Help me," I whimpered finally. I wanted to be strong; I wanted to be strong by myself. I had always prided myself in my independence. But this? This would ruin me, this had ruined me.

"What happened?" Kate asked quietly, releasing me from the hug but just moving to sit in front of me. Kate was all I could see, the rest of our dorm pitch black. I squeezed my eyes shut and took a shaky breath.

I sniffled, surprisingly not feeling the need to hide my tears.

"I was hurt, hurt badly," I whispered, my heart beginning to race as I let my mind remember.

"A boy?" Kate asked.

"Yeah, a boy," I let out a dark laugh, cold, and detached. "But he didn't hurt me the way you think-- he didn't break my heart," I spit out the words, feeling pathetic just for saying them. I took another breath. "He-he hurt me another way," I said softly. So softly I wasn't even sure if she was able to hear me.

"How did he hurt you?" Kate asked quietly.

I closed my eyes as the memory overwhelmed my senses, and I was soon recounting that night.

"Hey, Eve's here!" Somebody yelled from the crowd as I walked through the front door, my friends trailing behind me. A chorus of cheers made me smirk. I was always wanted at parties.

This particular party wasn't that special, just some senior with his parents out of town, who wanted a last hurrah before college. It was taking place just a few miles from my house too, so that made travel easy, I was able to walk here.

Somebody had turned this average house into a great spot for a party. Furniture was pushed to the sides, making room for a dance floor. Booze was covering the kitchen, spilling out of coolers that covered the floor. Music was blasting and people were pushed up against one another.

"I'm going to get something to drink!" I yelled to my friends that came with me, the pounding music making conversation difficult. I made my way to the kitchen and opened myself a bottle of beer.

"Hey babe," I heard in my ear as a pair of arms snaked around my waist.

I giggled and spun around, coming face to face with my latest fling, Chad.

"I didn't think I'd see you here," I told him, wrapping my arms around his neck after I put my beer on the counter behind us. Only Chad and I could reach the bottle so I wasn't concerned.

"Well I heard that you'd be here, so I figured I'd show up. To keep the men away from you of course," he joked. His eyes then raked over my body, as if to emphasize his point.

"You look smokin', by the way," he said with a smile. I laughed. I always dressed to impress. Tonight, I wore dark skinny jeans paired with a grey crop top, matching grey heels on my feet.