The Beginning

(One Thousand years ago)

"Niklaus," Calista says as he approaches her with a joyful smile. She returns the smile and peers back at her home for a short moment, "Join me for a walk? I have something to show you."

"Of course," He says and offers her his arm. She rolls her eyes but happily accepts the gesture.

They walk towards the thick trees of the forest. She glances over at Klaus to see him already looking at her, "What? Do I have something on my face?"

"No," Nik answers with a chuckle, "I'm just trying to figure out what you want to show me."

"You'll see."

Both of them stop and Calista turns to face him with a grin on her face, "I need you to place a leaf in the center of my hand."

"Why?"

"Just do it or I shall grab my sword," She threatens playfully and this time he rolls his eyes at her.

"Like you have ever held a sword," He mutters.

"I have so!"

Nik picks up a vibrant green leaf that has just fallen from the tree above. He holds it up to show her sarcastically and so she holds out her hand. He delicately places the leave in the center of her palm. She closes her eyes and focus'. When she opens her eyes, she sees the shocked expression on Nik's face.

"Are you doing that?" He asks and Calista nods slowly.

"My father says that I have immense power and that one day I shall join those who killed Henrik. I don't want to be of the wolf people," She explains in a whisper.

A pained look crosses Nik's face as he reaches out to grab her hand.

"Mother has requested your presence at dinner tonight," Nik explains as they begin to walk through the forest hand in hand, "She said tonight is special."

"Very well then."

***

"Calista," Esther greets and grabs both of Calista's hands with hers, "Welcome, come inside."

She makes her way into their home to see Kol pestering Rebekah. An annoyed look crosses her face as she swats him away. Finn rolls eyes as he plops down in his usual spot.

Elijah stands to greet her. He presses his lips to her hand, "Hello, 'Lijah."

"Calista," He says as a smile grows across both of their faces. She rolls her eyes as Nik appears behind them.

She takes her usual seat next to Elijah and Nik.

***

Dinner was lovely.

Mikael makes his way back into the house and over to his wife, "Ready?" He mutters into her ear causing her to nod.

Mikael exits the room once again. Calista finds it suspicious but pays no mind. She directs her attention back to the conversation at hand which is mostly Kol and Rebekah bickering.

Mikael returns with wine and Esther quickly serves it to his children and their guest. Calista has never had wine before so she takes a tiny sip. She scrunchs her nose up at the bitter taste of it. She takes another drink of the wine to avoid being rude. Mikael makes his way behind Rebekah and Calista's eyes follow him. Esther nods again looking straight at her husband.