❥ 1

Flashback to high school days
Third Person POV

"Hey, Kaneki...Hurry up! I'm starving!"
Ken just sigh as a response and gestures Hide to shut up his mouth in the library.

"Can't you be quieter in the library? And be patient! I just need to ask the librarian about that book..."
As soon as he turns to the library counter, he saw a troubled looking girl his age. It seems like she's discussing something with the librarian in charge at the counter.

"Aww, what a let down. I guess that can't be helped. Thanks a lot and sorry anyways."
After she finishes the sentence, she notices a ravenette looking at the direction of the library counter, at her and the librarian to be precise.

"Oh, sorry for taking my time. I'm done here so..."
The girl averts her eyes awkwardly from them and give the ravenette and his friend some space to get their problems done at the counter.

"Ah, no it's fine. Thank you..."
Ken replies, equally a bit awkward at the situation. Hide just throws his best friend a look for getting awkward at a silly situation.

The girl heaves another sigh but just when she's about to leave the school library and go back home, she overheard Ken's conversation with the librarian.

"Eh...So that book isn't here either huh? Hm...I've searched every bookstore near my place but I can't seem to find 'A Quiet Place' by Matsumoto Seicho-sensei anywhere...Guess I'll just give up then..."
Ken's shoulders droop in disappointment at his luck. Hide then nudges his arm and sends a playful grin at him.

"Ahaha, your luck's not so good, huh?"
Ken only manages a glare and directed it towards Hide.

"U-um..."
Both the male turn their head to the voice that calls out to them. The girl from before sends them a timid smile before looking straight at Ken.

"If you want, I can lend you that book. I have it at my home."
She sends him another friendly smile. Ken was a bit taken aback by her friendliness. But the excitement of getting to read that book surpasses his shock. Ken eagerly nods at her with eyes gleaming with excitement like a small child that found a new toy.

"Really?! Can I?"
She nods as a response to his question. His smile grows larger. Just then, an idea struck him.

"Hey, to repay you, why don't I let you lend that book you wanted to read? Ah, if I have it, that is. But even if I don't have it, maybe I can lend you some other interesting book. So, what's the title and the author of that book?"
The girl's face lights up with excitement. She doesn't wish to let go of this chance she has.

"Um, it's called 'The Undine of Fire' by Miyamoto Kousuke-sensei."
Ken heaves a small sigh of relief when hearing her response. He recognizes the title and was sure he had it at home.

"Thank god. I have that one. Why don't we meet up to exchange the books then? Um, are you free this Saturday?"
The girl nods and Ken couldn't be more relieved by her answer.

"Great! Then let's met up in front of Matsumoto bookstore around 10.00 a.m. We can walk around the bookstore for a bit before going to a cafe and exchange the books. Are you okay with that?"

"Yes! I visit that bookstore often too so it's fine. I'll look forward to this Saturday then. See you..."
She then turns on her heels to go back home when she suddenly realizes something.

"Oh, um...hey...This is a bit embarrassing but...I don't think we have yet to catch each other's names. I'm L/N Y/N. What's yours?"
She gives a sheepish smile as she scratches the back of her neck with a tint of blush on her already rosy cheeks.