Undercover Agents

"Don't know why there's no sun up in the sky,
Stormy weather.
Since my man and I ain't together
Keeps rainin' all the time."

Steve and I walked with our hoods up through the hospital, keeping our heads down. 

"Life is bare, gloom and misery everywhere,
Stormy weather
Just can't get my poor self together
I'm weary all the time
The time
So weary all the time."

We walked into a waiting room where two vending machines were placed. Steve stared at an empty space, he looked distraught and confused. I took out one of my earbuds and looked up at him.

"What, did they run out of your favorite candy? What are we doing here?" I asked.

"It's gone," Steve said.

"What is?"

There was a pop behind us and we turned to look at Natasha, chewing a piece of gum. Steve grabbed her arm and brought her to a different room across the hall. I followed and closed the door behind me. Steve shoved Nat against a wall and threw back his hood.

"Where is it?" He asked, keeping his voice low.

"Where is what?" I asked, getting irritated.

"The hard drive!" Steve replied, looking back at Nat.

"Safe," Natasha answered. I pulled out my iPod and turned off the music.

"Do better!" Steve said.

"Where did you get it?" Natasha asked.

I looked out the window to see if anyone was watching, thankfully there wasn't.

"Why would I tell you?" Steve said back.

"Fury gave it to you. Why?" Natasha questioned.

"What's on it?" Steve demanded.

"I don't know," Natasha replied.

"Stop lying!" Steve said, harshly.

"Easy, Steve." I held up my hand.

"I only act like I know everything, Rogers," Natasha said.

Someone walked by and I closed the blinds on the windows.

"I bet you knew Fury hired the pirates, didn't you?" Steve asked.

"Steve, we don't know that," I said.

"Well, it makes sense." Natasha tilted her head. "The ship was dirty, Fury needed a way in, so do you."

"I'm not going to ask you again." Steve tightened his grip on her arms. 

Natasha's eyes darted Steve's face. She almost looked scared.

"I know who killed Fury." She said and I walked over. Steve lowered his arms. "Most of the intelligence community doesn't believe he exists, the ones who do call him the Winter Soldier."
My heart skipped a beat and I felt a pang in my chest. "He's credited with over two dozen assassinations in the last fifty years."

"So he's a ghost story." Steve inferred.

"Five years ago I was escorting a nuclear engineer out of Iran, somebody shot at my tires near Odessa. We lost control, went straight over a cliff, I pulled us out, but the Winter Soldier was there." Natasha explained. "I was covering my engineer, so he shot him straight through me." She pulled up her shirt revealing a bullet wound on the side of her stomach. "Soviet slag, no rifling. Bye-bye bikinis."