06

The ride home is silent and cold. Neither man wanted to speak up and make polite conversation like they had earlier that night. Both remained livid at one another for varying reasons which neither cared to discuss.

When the coach stops, Jeno reaches for the door, preparing to exit, but he stops himself.

"I want my pay for this job and an agreement to terminate my position as your guard," Jeno mutters, "I will keep your secret as long as I live, but I want no part of this, anymore."

"No," Jaemin says flatly as he crosses his arms.

"Pardon?"

"I will not terminate your contract. You signed it, therefor you will fulfill your duties to me."

"How dare you deny me my freedom! You dare act as if you despise me for speaking my mind, yet now you tell me I cannot leave?" Jeno glares at the younger.

"I am upset with your actions, but I am not upset with you," Jaemin clarifies, "You are the only man for this job, and I refuse to find another to replace you."

"Unless you are willing to tell me why I am to impress Doctor Moon and why it is so important for me to stay, then I suggest you start your search," Jeno growls.

Jaemin sits silently in his seat while Jeno eyes him expectantly. When there is no response, Jeno grumbles and reaches for the door once more.

"Many people know my father to be a brilliant businessman. A well-respected owner of the largest, most modernized hospital in the country. While this is true, I can unfortunately say he lacks in other ways," Jaemin stops him, "He has always prioritized work over parenting, and with my mum dying during childbirth, I was left to practically be raised by my servants."

"And what is the relevance of this story?" Jeno leans back into his seat.

"Doctor Moon was hired by my father when I was younger. I would curiously wander into his office, and he would gladly show me his work. He has taught me everything I know about medicine. He has always shown me kindness and compassion where my father has lacked. He is like an older brother to me," Jaemin mindlessly smooths out his robes.

"But why do you care if I impress him?" Jeno grows increasingly irritated.

"You are supposed to be with me for an indeterminate amount of time. I was eagerly hoping that you and the man closest to me could manage to like one another. Besides, all three of us are working towards the same goal, so a friendly environment between us would be beneficial," Jaemin explains himself.

"So when we do not, the blame falls on me?" Jeno argues.

"When you insist on chasing after a serial murderer and make both he and I uncomfortable, yes. I would say that is grounds to assume you are the one at fault."

"There is a man who has been brutally murdered and placed in his son's grave with no indication of where his son's body is. Do you not care in the slightest what has happened to them?"

"Jeno, we cannot go running towards danger. We have jobs to do and duties to fulfill," says Jaemin as he grows exasperated.

"Then why not allow me to do it on my own?" Jeno responds coldly.

"You are a guard not a detective. Please, Jeno, let it go. Allow the police to catch the person responsible..." Jaemin urges him before attempting to change the subject, "Why don't we go inside and have a cup of tea while we discuss further terms of our contract."

"Further terms? What do you mean?"

"Come with me, and I will happily inform you," Jaemin coaxes him.