When Willow Weeps

Zhū was the wife of General Iroh, she knew him long ago, back when he was just a Prince. She loved him with all her heart and was ecstatic when he proposed.

"It was, and forever will be the best day of my youth." She'd tell her sister-in-law Ursa. When the humble village girl came Zhū saw it as an opportunity to make a new friend. They talked and laughed many times together, Ursa was the first to know of her pregnancy with Lu Ten.

Iroh and Azulon were pleased to hear that he was a strong bender but the labor was torturous. The doctors feared she would die but by Agni! She was going to play a role in her son's life, whether it was destiny or not be damned!

And she survived. Stories of the stubborn and willful mother reached all ears in the Fire Nation and she gained popularity and political power. "All I wanted was my son to know his mother, and I got that and so much more" she smiled.

Around ten years later Ursa gave birth to her beloved son Zuko, not long after Azula was born. In the history books her birthday was inked over and over until people only knew the date, not the year.

Closely following Azula's first birthday Zhū gave birth to a daughter. This time she was weaker, but she prevailed. The doctors talked in hushed voices and told her to stay in bed. She had three years to live.

Zhū had looked at her daughter, beautiful hazel eyes, ink black hair, smooth pale skin. Then to her husband and son. "Stay strong, stay brave and noble" she said.  She looked back down at her daughter, "I want her to have two names."

Iroh nods, many royal babies in the past had two names, one for normal use and the other for rituals and close family. "Her public name will be Xiao, her family name is Sun-hee. "

And so, Princess Sun-hee Xiao was born into the royal family.

Ursa loved her niece but Iroh couldn't see himself fully loving his daughter as much as he adored his son. He always saw himself with two sons. So he kept Sun-hee at arms length.

When Zhū died the palace wept and mourned for nine full months. Sun-hee didn't understand why everyone around her was sad and crying. So she asked her big brother, Lu Ten looked at his baby sister, his only sibling. And sighs, "Mother is gone, Sun-hee. And she's not coming back" he put gently. Sun-hee frowned and nodded, a lot of people are leaving now a days in the palace it seemed. "Is she in that spirit paradise Papa talks about?" She asks happily. People may die but their spirits live on, at least that's what her Mama and Grandmother told her.

Lu Ten nods with a tired smile, "Yeah, she is. I bet she misses us, just like we miss her. She's with Grandmother and your flowers." He says. Sun-hee laughs at the hidden joke before getting up to leave, humming a song their mother hummed in her last breath.

"Down by the water
Under the willow
Sits a lone ranger,

He and His wife
Once lived happily
Planted a seed
That grew through the reeds

Summers and Winters
Through snowy Decembers
Sat by the the water
Close to the embers

Missing out the lives
That they once had before
I wouldn't leave you
I would hold you
When the last day comes

What if you need me
Won't you hold me
On the last day
Our last day

Mr and Mrs
Dreamed of a willow
Carving their names
Into their willow

If he had spoken love
Love would return
Spoken inside
To soft to be heard
Summers and Winters
Through snowy Decembers

Sat by the water
Remembering the embers
Missing out the lives

That they once had before
I wouldn't leave you
I would hold you
When the last day comes
What if you need me
Would you hold me
On the last day
Our last day

Somewhere the timing will all come together.
The mishaps will turn into sunny Decembers
The lovers
Will be able
To find their willow
I wouldn't leave you
I would hold you
When the last day comes
What of you need me
Would you would you hold me
On the last day
Our last day."

Lu Ten could hear his mothers soft voice of liquid gold and silk, singing the lullaby she knew as a child. He smiles and hums along. It was not his lullaby, she sung him little Soldier Boy, not that beautiful song.

Sun-hee was their mother's willow, her prize in life.

And Lu Ten knew that his mother was not gone, not really.