Chapter 21: A Chance Encounter

"Just so you know," the principal says. "Your mother did call us to confirm your enrollment and all the staff on campus have been made aware of your situation."

Mia swallows a nervous lump in her throat and slowly nods. She continues to look down at her feet, not exactly comfortable with conveying the range of emotions she'd been feeling to the man in front of her. Not only was she living with almost complete strangers, starting a new school, but is still tolerating the fact that her father had a complete grasp of her life.

Her grandparents had left early that morning, giving her hugs and reassurance that everything was going to be okay. Mia couldn't help but cry a little as she said goodbye to her previous guardians when they left in the family pick-up truck. The last sense of normalcy had left and she was starting anew. She wanted to believe their words that life could only improve now that her father did not know where she was living, but she was smarter than that and knew so much better. She wishes beyond everything that she was eighteen and able to live on her own.

But unfortunately, she was still only seventeen and stuck wherever she was sent.

Her uncle Zack had dropped her and the boys off on the school's grounds before heading off to find a job. She left Georgie and Bill to head into the high school with her registration papers, walking past the logos and banners decorating the halls with the mascot being the tigers. She keeps the hood of her sweatshirt up to avoid any unwanted attention and heads into the main office.

After waiting for a while, the principal invited her into his office to speak with him.

Despite being in a different school, the standard routine and introduction was nothing new to her. The usual banter about the school's excellent programs, the rules, the promise to keep her father away... all so typical, all so mundane... all so fake and Mia knew it.

"The security team on campus has been given your father's full description as well as the staff. If they so much as spot him within a 50-mile radius of the school, the police will be called. We understand that this is a very private matter and a personal one for you and your mother, so we are doing our very best to ensure your safety at this school as well as your privacy."

"Thank you," the teenage girl nods. Despite the reassurances of the principal, the girl knew what her father was like. He'd find a way to sneak into town and ruin everything... he always did.

"And Welcome to Hawkins High School Miss Rogers."

"Thank you."

Mia pulls her hoodie up again over her hair and begins to walk down the hall, trying not to be seen by anyone. She figures she has a better chance of hiding and staying in this new place longer if no one really got to know her. A few students give her passing glimpses, but most don't really seem to care, which is how she wanted it. She stumbles to find her locker assignment. Once she does, she unloads the books she doesn't need until the third period. She's so focused on keeping her head down and remaining out of sight that she's not watching where she's going.

Mia runs into someone, causing her to drop all her books and supplies on the ground. A few laughs erupt from around her. Her face turns red in embarrassment and she doesn't even lock eyes with the person she bumped into. It's her first day and she's already made an enemy. Her heartbeat hits overdrive as she scrambles to get her things in order.

"Sorry," Mia says, beginning to gather her things. "I wasn't watching where I was going."

A pair of hands come down to help her. She finally looks and gasps. It's a boy. A very handsome boy too. Her breath catches in her throat and she turns beet red in the face. She wants to look away, but she can't stop staring at his brown eyes. His hair is styled in a very particular way which would indicate to her that it needed a lot of hairsprays to stay that way. He gives her a slight smile, trying to make her feel less nervous. He had the air of confidence and charm that was typical of most high school boys, the muscles under his shirt was an indication to her that he was a jock of some kind. Mia's heart pounds against her chest as she's afraid she's offended the high school quarterback or the captain of some sports team, definitely not the person you want to piss off on your first day. She bites her lip very hard, afraid he might lash out at her, but his face seemed eerily calm and not at all angry. He seemed friendly enough and not at all offended that she accidentally bumped into him.