3 | Secret

Mikoto

I'm unsure when I fell asleep, I just know that I went in for another blink and ended up keeping them closed for a rather long time.

Anzu was the first one awake. She ran some bath water and made a small bowl of rice for breakfast. After putting on the same pair of clothes she wore from the day before, she came and shook me awake.

Her tone was soft, not wanting to bother Aki — who has worked his butt completely off the day before.

"Miko?" Once again, I hear that concern in her voice. Slowly, my eyes blinked themselves open and I let out a slight gasp, seeing how close her face was to mine.

"Not too loud..." Anzu whispered, eyebrows scrunched. "Your brother is—"

Aki yawned, when he sat up in the old futon. His eyebags hung low, yet his lips slightly curved when he said, "Goodmorning."

Anzu bit her lip, stressed. While rubbing her temple, she finally smiled. "Goodmorning, you two."

I stayed silent, warmth churning in my stomach that hasn't been there for years. And from there, we all got ready.

The morning felt quick, which was unfortunate because the afternoon went by slowly. Because, well, we had to work.

We pulled weeds in some old woman's yard, we watered the flowers, pulled fruits and vegetables, replanted seeds, etc. You name the chore—we probably did it.

It was silent for the most part. Neither of us really had anything to say, and I didn't mind it too much.

Yet while raking leaves, Anzu stopped for a moment and stared at me. Which I didn't really expect, making all the hairs stand up on my back.

"Miko."

Not a question, just my name. Miko's name, I mean.

"You've been staring at me like a stranger since yesterday. I wasn't going to say anything, matter-of-fact, I slept off the thought. But I'm noticing it more today."

She looked me over, head to toe. Focused.

"Okaa-san... It's just tha—" I racked my brain for any excuse, feeling exposed completely.

"Miko, there's no reason to lie to me. You know that right?" She forced a smile, one that didn't quite reach her eyes. She turned her back to me, "I hope you do."

At that moment, I really wanted to tell her. To let her know that a grown woman has taken complete control over her daughter's life. That Miko was not me. But... I couldn't. And I didn't.

I pursed my lips, then replied, "Yeah, Okaa-san. Of course, I know that."

After that, it was quiet, once again. Anzu sighed, while guilt ate me up on the inside. What else could I really do?

"You're hiding something."

I open my mouth to retaliate, but she cuts me off, "And, you might not want to tell me. But I'll figure it out."

The rest of the day went by rather quickly. We went home in silence, and ate dinner. Anzu kept her eyes on me, and mine were kept elsewhere.

I was sleeping by the time Aki came home, missing the exchange of mumbles and whispers between them both. Though, at some point, my eyes peeked open behind my eyelashes and I could simply hear some bits.

"She doesn't know that I know..." Anzu stated, I could basically hear her biting her bottom lip as she began thinking.

"That you know what, Okaa-san?" Aki asked.

"Her secret."

My eyes widened, and I could my heart beat from my own ears.

No way..?