CHAPTER FIFTEEN

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
VIOLET
Ψ

"So you're Red?"

"Yep."

"Can you breathe fire?"

"Nope."

"Can you light this match right now?"

I bring my fingers up in front of my face and snap. A small flame sparks between my fingers, and Jude immediately drops the match he was holding out to me. Both him and Bo are entranced by the fire and scoot in closer to stare at it. I smirk at them and glance up to meet Dane's eyes to see him shake his head, letting a few chuckles escape.

I feel a presence stand in the doorway behind me. I don't have to look to know it's Cole. Thankfully he eventually let his guard down, so now my Orange abilities are easier to use around him.

"I've got sandwiches in the kitchen for anyone who wants one," the southern boy says. Bo and Jude jump up and race around Cole to the kitchen, with Conor following right behind him. Marcy trails them loosely, sending Dane and me a look when we don't move to get up. I'm actually quite hungry, and I'm sure Dane is, too, so I'm not sure why he isn't getting up from the couch.

"Aren't you hungry?" I ask. He runs his hand over Falcon's head as the dog sits at his feet, his tongue hanging out of his mouth. Dane shrugs.

"To be honest, I don't want to get up."

I feel my eyebrows knit together. "What do you mean?"

"My knee is just bothering me is all. One of those douchebags at the mall tried to knock me down and hit me in the knee with his gun."

"How bad does it hurt?"

"It's not that bad, it's just sore. I'm sure it'll be fine in the morning."

"I'll be back." I pat his arm, inwardly cringe that I just did that, and then make my way into he kitchen. Bo is enthusiastically devouring his sandwich as Marcy watches, trying not to choke on her own food as she laughs at him.

"Where's Dane?" Cole asks, glancing back into the living room. I grab two sandwiches and two cold water bottles.

"Is it okay if we eat in the living room? His knee's hurting him from the fight earlier." I step backwards towards the living room again, slowly, waiting for Cole's approval. I can't remember the last time I was in an actual house, so I'm not sure exactly how acceptable eating in the living room is. It's ridiculous and bordering on stupid, especially considering how the world has changed in the past few years, to worry about etiquette, but I don't want to do anything Cole and Conor aren't okay with.

Cole wipes his hands off over the counter and nods.

"Sure, but if he gets crumbs on my couch he's cleaning it up. Same goes for you, Princess."

"I'm not a Princess," I snort. He chuckles and looks at me curiously, his eyes squinted slightly in thought.

"What is your name, anyways?"

"Freckles, look!" Bo hollers, before tossing his crust in the air. Falcon jumps up onto his hind legs and catches the bread in his mouth. Bo giggles wildly as the dog chomps on the food and sticks his nose back into Bo's face for more. I smile fondly at them.