CHAPTER NINETEEN

CHAPTER NINETEEN
GOODBYES
Ψ

"FRECKLES!" Bo screams. I barely have time to see the little boy as he barrels out the door and flings himself into my arms. An involuntary chuckle escapes my lips as I try to keep him from slipping. Heaving him up onto my hip and ignoring the ache in my spent body, I hug him back.

"I wasn't gone that long, buddy," I smile, ruffling his messy hair. I feel him shrug against me, but he refuses to let go.

I look up then to see he next person to walk out the door. She laughs at the boy in my arms, but her brown eyes hold a sort of sadness. I motion for her to come closer, and she folds herself into my side for a quick hug.

"I'm glad you're back," Marcy tells me as she steps back. I give her a smile and glance down at Bo in my arms.

"Me too."

The door opens again, and my eyes snap up to see Dane standing in the doorway. His eyes study my form for a brief moment, only to stop on my face. His eyes don't meet mine at first, instead, they stare at something above my eyes. Finally, his eyes flicker to mine.

I try to imagine us in a different situation. One where he's standing in the doorway, innocent, curious, beautiful eyes staring into mine. I'd wear a pretty dress, one like in the movies where the girl makes the boy speechless just by standing there. He'd be in a suit, corsage in hand. His hair would be gelled back. My hair would hang in ringlets around my face. Maybe I'd wear makeup. I don't think I've ever worn makeup. He'd finally come down from the front porch and approach me, arm winding around my waist to guide me to the car that would bring us to some place, maybe prom.

Instead, his dark eyes are shadowed with dark moons. He hasn't washed his hair in days. Mud-stained, ripped clothes hang off his malnourished body. His body holds physical injuries, his mind is riddled with emotional pain.

I watch him ascend down the porch steps with a slight limp from behind the blood stained hair hanging limp in front of my face. I try to get Bo to release his grip on me, but he keeps his head burrowed in the crook of my neck. Dane's lips turn up at the sight.

We don't say anything as he envelops both me and Bo in a hug. I close my eyes and feel my body finally relax for the first time in days. Exhaustion rolls off my body in waves. I almost feel myself nod off when a wet nose nudges my leg. I open my eyes and pull away from Dane to see Falcon sitting at my feet, tail wagging in the dirt.

"Hey Falcon, what's up buddy," I muse, leaning down to pet his head. When I straighten, I notice the look Cole has plastered on his face. He uncrosses his arms and motions to the door to the house.

"Come on, we need to talk."

»»———Ψ———««

"Where were you?" Cole asks as he sits down across from me. My fingers mess with the mug of water in my hands, given to me by Conor as soon as we got inside.

I feel a shiver pass through me and I clutch the mug tighter in my hands. "Clancy took me back to Jamboree. I'm sorry I couldn't escape sooner—"

"Hey, it's fine," Dane says, tucking an arm around my shoulder. My face heats up at the simple action, and Dane notices. He sends me a somewhat playful smile. "We're just glad you're okay."