Farmer's Seed

GARED

The cold bothers Gared's thoughts. From what Old Yakken have said to him, he thought that, he should have end the life of his ally, burn his body and left it in the cold wind that blows far from north where they have seen the man. But he is a sworn rider, once you announced that you are a part of the Riders of the North, you shall not leave your companion wounded, nor half-dead. They are brothers who sworn to set eyes into the Unseed Lands of the North, protect each other in every harm that they will encounter, and shall return into Ravenhal.

Gared, a childhood bestfriend of the King, was still on the process of accepting the fact that his bestfriend was now the ruler of every folks he knew in the north.

But that knowing about his friend slowly faded when King Charles II vanished, and the seventeen years old Adam is the one who is named to be the ruler of Ravenhal. Gared took a vow to join the riders and see what is beyond those walls that stands against everything. They took their own paths, they live in one stronghold yet they seem so far from each other. They do not know each other well like they knew themselves before.

They both entered a room where seven men gathers around a bed, a man lies there, eyes were shut yet it seem that he sees things, terrible things, he thought. The man was soaked by his own sweat, but he is still covered by a thick blanket for he shivers like a naked man, standing in an open field into the Gravelands.

"Gods, what is his name?" The King asked, his eyes lingers into the man who suffers pain.

"It's not important anymore, my lord. He'll die sooner." A man from the riders that Gared totally knew have spoken without manners.

"You haven't greet your lordship yet you act like a featherheaded man, Wilson." Gared stated, the man who spoke muttered something that Gared did not heard. He's always like that, he thought. The King already knew about Wilson's nature, he thought. "The name's Rickard Lamon, m'lord. New face in the riders, nineteen of his age." Gared announced, standing at ease.

"I told you Gared, we should've not taken him back, this lad is dead when we found him in Gravewoods!" Again, Wilson protested, he sound like Old Yakken speaking— in a younger tone, he thought.

Gared noticed that the King is still staring at the boy, analyzing whatever he seeks. Gared knew, the King's order it is, yet he did never spoke about it to anyone else, even with his brothers at arms. The King did not react on Wilson's rudeness, yet he calmly listened to the whining man.

"He is our brother, Wilson. Have you forgotten your vows?" Gared spoke, the other six people inside the room, some of them sighed, some of them rolled their eyes.

"A bewitched man, he is! Look at him, we should have end his pain! I declare it mercy, Gared! Mercy! The boy is suffering!" Wilson raised his voice, catching his lordship's attention.

"Where are your manners, Wilson? Aren't you the son of Leon Grost- he is your father, am I right? The adviser of my father when he is still alive? Does your father taught you to show foolishness in front of your king?" The King finally spoke. Gared was startled, he flushed of embarassment in front of everybody. Gared told Wilson to show more courtesy for their King, yet this happens, he thought. Everyone knew that Wilson Grost is five years older than Adam, he always protest about everything he thought was right.

The room was silenced. The King's eyes landed on Wilson who is now also embarassed yet slightly pissed.

"These boy is our men and he is your brother. I must ask questions to him. Quits, summon the priest." The King ordered. Quits, a young rider stood up and bowed, the he exits the room without saying any words for he is a mute.