False Tiger

SVEN

The warmth of the sunlight touched his skin, a warm embrace that gives comfort to every citizen of Varynsé, that every man in the north desires. Sven was staring blankly into the window of his room, where he can see everything, bright and clear.

He went outside, wearing his normal coat and boots that was made by his little friends in the slums of Varynsé, for he never wear any fancy clothes just to look noble. He also have the cloak of Sir Raymund, it was a black cloak, blackest of the black. Some people from the kingdom calls him the 'False Tiger' for he somehow contradicts his family for a deeper reason that no one knows but him.

The castle where he lives was the most noble stronghold a knight could dream of, but he was not just a knight, he was also a prince— son of Arwán Roymist, King of the realm, The proud Tiger of the South.

Yes, he is a Roymist. A family from the south, who is well knowned for the wars they have been victorious, a strong family is what they are, for they have never felt how to lose a fight, never before. His father, Arwán Roymist was a warrior and a King by blood of Aráw Roymist, son of the Oldest King that ever lived, Warán Roymist that reigned since the First Songs.

For Sven, being alive was a hard thing to do. It's hard to be a Roymist, he thought. "Never lose" is what their family always say. But for him, it's "Too much weight for a man's shoulder",
people always expect them to succeed, to win, to be someone who is prideful for who they really are— but, it's a no for him. The sigil of their house was a head of a ferocious tiger, but for a man who have witnessed it all, the rightful sigil for their house is a lynx.

He stood in front of the statue of Sir Raymund Thaár, his eyes lingers on the actual sword of the dead knight, pierced into his chest, where no one could ever pull it out nor wield it, even him who have lived with the knight for almost six years, have conversations with, trusted him, talked about the world, he's not even a knight, he thought, he was just a man who wasted his life fighting for someone's war, that's what he is, for Sir Raymund himself have judged his own existence.

Sven and Raymund was never been different, the both of them were adored by everyone in the kingdom. The knight was more of a father to him than the King who is his real father by blood, he was just old to live long enough with the boy he calls son.

"Sven, what is this madness? You're riding north without telling your farewells to your father?" His mother, Friá of the house Graland, ran towards him, her blood was boiling and she's almost out of breath, yet Sven's eyes never moved from the statue. "Sven, your father is sick and he wants to see you before you leave." Friá finally calmed down and catched her breath, she swallowed tightly and adjusted her posture- wearing a gown while running was a difficult task for a lady on her fourties.

Sven was quiet for a moment. His gaze moved into the calm ocean from the distance of the castle, he sighed. The wind blew peacefully, this could be a home for him, but it's nothing but a castle near the ocean, he thought.

"I will return. I promise you that." He started walking away from his mother who is slightly shocked by his own son's action.

Friá grabbed his arms and pulled it with her full power as a lady, "Where are your manners, child? Say your farewells to your father."

"I am about to seek those witches in the north who have cursed him, and I have told you mother, I will come back." His eyes, his hazel eyes always looked bored, it never widens, nor furrowed. "Do you not trust me? I have no time for telling words for him, he never listens."

Her mother was silent for a moment, then Sven started walking again, leaving his mother alone in the west hallways of the castle, thinking about what happened to her child, what has gotten to him that he became what he is right now. Once he was a sweet and loving child to her, but now, he is nothing but a stubborn man, and even Sven know what his mother was thinking about him, but he doesn't care, not anymore.

He went straightly into the north gates of the kingdom, walking with his two trusted comrades from the High Command; Calix Plumbaine and Ezra Hyron, both came from a well knowned families in the kingdom.

"That is very rude of you, Ven." Ezra rolled her eyes while Calix was chuckling beside her.

"Well, like what Sven always say to us, 'You all know none'." Sven looked Calix in the corner of his eyes, annoyed as always.
Ezra just sighed, also annoyed to Calix's chuckles.

The three of them are well knowned warriors in the kingdom, people calls them the Royal Glaives for they know how to fight, the deadliest of all the High Command's young knights. Today, they were sent outside their stronghold to investigate the terrific phenomenons from the north, and based from what the priests have said, the King was sick because he was cursed by a strong black curse that by just a whisper, the earth will swallow a man alive.

Sven was not much worried. He believes that his father was just sick and that's all, no dark magic, no witches, and for him, that's all nonsense. He just agreed with the orders because her mother requested it, who have a strong faith with the gods with bright faces from the first songs, and because he needed to go outside these walls that surrounds his whole existence.

"Your highness, your horses are ready and waiting outside the walls. May you have a safe journey and let the gods be with you." A royal guard bowed as the three of them walked past into the thick walls and gave them farewells.

"Yes, that's it. Pray for our safety, sir!" Calix winked at the guard who is still bowing at them.

When they reached their horses, Sven's eyes lingers into the castle from the distance with it's height that can be seen even outside the walls.

"What's the matter? Thinking saying your farewells to your father in the last minute?" Calix stated, wearing his smirk on his face.

"No." Sven simply replied. "I was just thinking about not coming back here again."

And from that, Calix and Ezra felt trouble thoughts inside their minds. They knew Sven very well, once he decided about things, no one can do anything about it.

"Caught you off guard, yes?" Sven suddenly smiled, a small smile is all it was. "We better get going." Sven's horse started galloping with his command.

"This is going to be a peculiar journey, believe me." Ezra stated, initiating her horse that started following Sven's from a distance.

"I hope it does." Calix just shrugged, and started following his comrades.

Sven, he is still confused, he thought. He did not know if he's afraid or not, he do not know what is to be afraid of. From that moment, he thought about not coming back to Varynsé's Castle, a home is what his mother calls it, but he also thought, that maybe, her mother does not know what a real home is. He will not take this journey to find answers about his father's sickness, he will take this chance to seek for a place where he can call a real home.