The Book Bound by Flesh

You call me mad? That I take as a compliment. For madness is the key to immortality. To becoming like God himself! Madness sharpens the senses, it gives forbidden knowledge to those daring enough to possess it. Madness is a strength I strive to achieve. A strength no mortal, such as yourself, will ever achieve. Please!

The book! The book I now carry on me has the knowledge of which I spoke. The pages bound by the flesh of men, the words printed in mortal blood. Those who read the book I hold in my shaking hands are never the same afterwards. One must endure their greatest pains in order to receive it, yet you still call me a madman. I have achieved more than you! The sound! Oh, the sound the pages make as I turn them. The crinkle of paper older than the universe itself, as I read the bloody letters scrawled upon it. Spells, hacks to life as we know it. Potions that could make others stare at you in unwilling awe. Phrases that could destroy your enemies with the slightest utterance. These and much more dark knowledge, things that I dare not speak of. Information that I have sworn to keep a secret. Information you will have to find yourself if your curiosity overcomes your morals. Don't!

The trials I completed to achieve the reward of this demonic book were dreadful. Horrible things that tested my own humanity. That such thing was expelled from my being. I no longer hold the ability to feel joy, for that was one of the prices of the book. Listen!

The journey begins with Orpheus. You must find him, he shall lead you to your first test. Through the gates of Hades you shall go, the underworld is not a welcoming place. You will approach the five rivers, your first test is here. You do not choose the river, the river shall choose you. Close your eyes, feel the pull. Approach the water and touch it. Allow it to drink from your soul. My river was the Acheron, it sensed my pain, it called me to it. It consumed my pain, and I felt it no more. Allow the river to drain the flaw from your soul. He!

A boat shall approach you once the river has consumed your flaw

A boat shall approach you once the river has consumed your flaw. It will deliver you to your next challenge. Upon the shore nine figures shall greet you. Anxiety, Grief, Diseases, Old Age, Hunger, Fear, Agony, Death and Sleep. You will be approached by one, do not run away. Your chosen fate will provide you with a weapon. Grief gifted me a golden mace. This will come in handy later. In order to receive your gift, you must give them something in return. I gave them my joy, it was at one time what I felt most. Once the exchange is finished, you will continue down the path. Lies!

Your third challenge shall be Cerberus, a three headed hound and guardian of the underworld. Prepare yourself, you must battle this beast. Most do not make it past this point, this was not true for me. With a swift blow to the heart, the beast fell dead and I was granted passage through. It!

The fourth challenge is one of the most difficult. If you survive Cerberus, you must next be judged. Minos, Rhadamanthus, and Aeacus decide where your soul goes. I was sent to the Fields of Punishment where I was stripped of my humanity. You must sort your way through you destination to the edge of it. A door made of black iron will be there waiting. You must force it open to begin your next challenge. Will!

Beyond that door is the fifth challenge. You must receive the book from Hades himself. He will collect your soul and in turn, when you die you will automatically be sent to the Fields of Punishment. You must sign the contract in your own blood, only then will you receive the book. Destroy!

Your final challenge is to return to the land of the living. You must retrace your steps through the underworld, defeat Cerberus once more, swim through your river, and find Orpheus, who will return you home. You!

Follow these instructions to receive the forbidden knowle- No! Do not fall for this fool's trickery! He only seeks your demise so that he might feast upon your soul. Please listen to me! He shall- dge. Become a god amongst your mortal peers.

Mortal fool. Your soul now belongs to me.