Chapter 9

Laurel's POV

January 24th, 8:49 PM (History class outing)
Alyssa, Rachelle, Isabelle and I were having a huge debate on who was the best Canadian Signer. Rachelle and Isabelle claimed that it was it was Charles Bellamy, but Alyssa and I thought it was more Theo Remny.
I mean have you seen the arms of that guy!
I turned around to ask Em of her opinion, but she wasn't there. This was nothing new, Em always disappeared on me, on everyone for that matter.
"Em!"
"Dude what the fuck are you doing?"
"Did you guys see Em? I need her opinion"
"Last time I saw her she stopped to tie her boot lace"
We headed to the back of the group but she wasn't there either.
"Hey are you girls looking for something?", said Nick.
We all knew that Nick had a huge crush on Em, well everyone except Isabelle.
"Emery's missing did you see her?", Isabelle said.
He shook his head.
"No but I'll ask around"
I tried calling her phone and texting her but she wouldn't answer. It's not like she ever did. I told the teacher and we all searched for her for 30 minutes and she was nowhere to be seem.
Damn that girl.
We decided to head back to the bus and hope she'd be there. No sign of her there either. We all got on the bus and hopefully waited for her. I heard some people say that she might of left or some saying she might have been kidnapped. The teachers face didn't help though, he looked more afraid than any of us. I knew Em was shy and more of an introvert but she could kick you ass without her even touching you.
"Every one shut up! I got an email by Emery", the teacher said loudly. The whole bus came silent.
"Hey Mister, I'm fine. Don't worry.", he said out loud.
We decided to leave and not report her missing but something was up. So I decided to leave her a voicemail.
"Hey Em, it's Laurel.
WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU!!!
ahem. Sorry it's just that literally everyone is looking for you. And rumours are already spreading. Some people are saying that you were kidnapped or you ran away.
It doesn't help that that email you sent the history teacher made no sense whatsoever:
Hey Mister, I'm fine. Don't worry.

Isn't very convincing, anyways your parents didn't report you missing yet so...",  I stopped. I got a text from Brooklyn, Em's sister.
"I gotta go, call me back please."
I quickly checked my texts.
Hey Laurel, it's Brooklyn
Em just sent me a text saying that she was ok and that she wasn't coming back home until Sunday, why?
I texted her that she went missing during the outing. And replied that she'll try and call her.
She's not answering her phone.
Yeah I know I tried to call her too.
We arrived at school and everyone was a little tense.
She'll be at school on Monday, was what I told myself repeatedly.

January 29th, 9:50 AM (Next Monday)
WHERE THE FUCK IS THAT BITCH EMERY. I'M GOING TO FUCKING KILL HER WHEN SHE GETS BACK.
"Hey did anyone see Emery?", said the english teacher.
Everyone turned to look at me they all knew Em and I were close.
"Umm... well she never returned from the outing in history class and well she said that she'd be here today"
The teacher nodded, she was about to put her absent. At Carlton High School all the presences where done on the computer. But she made a weird face and then continued class.
At the end of class everyone came around me asking me questions about Emery that I couldn't answer. I guess I didn't know her as well as I thought.
In music Mr. Lucien was already informed about Emery from Nick.
While playing he stopped us to ask some questions about her.
"So you guys really don't know where Em is?"
I herd a few nah and no but nothing more. No one really knew her.

Thursday February 1st, 9:45 AM
I had a french oral and I was fucking nervous. We had to explain to the class weird phenomenas that happens to our bodies or a mental illness, that wasn't known.
I was doing it on what happens when we cut onions and why we cry. I was supposed to do it with Em but she wasn't back yet from wherever she was.
"Laurel, how about you start for today?", Miss Lina said.
I nodded, took my poster and came up in front of the class.
I started talking, every time I rehearsed by myself finally payed off.
Nock Nock Nock
You've got to be fucking kidding me!
I finished my oral on an edge and went to open the door.

Emery fucking Palris was standing there, smiling at me. Looking prettier than ever. I sat back at my place that was close to the door.
I turned around and everyone's mouth was as open as mine. She walked and I swear time slowed down. Her hair beautiful waves were flowing in the wind, like where the fuck did the wind come from?
"Miss Palris you're...", Miss Lina started.
"I have a paper from my doctor", Em interrupted. And god, she sounded like a fucking... her voice sounded fucking great.
She gave a paper to the teacher and sat down at her place. All the guys turned around to stare at her.
"Ok so who want's to go next?", the teacher said.
I saw from the corner of my eye Em's arm slowly go up.
"Emery are you sure you want to go, I can give you an extra few days if you want?"
"No thank you", she said as she got up with her usb key.
She set up her presentation on the computer and the first slide shocked us all. It said in bold 'My neurological disorder'.
"Good morning everyone. As some of you may or may not have noticed it's been a few day since I've been gone since last Wednesday after the history outing and wasn't really texting or calling any of you back it's partly because of this. Prosopagnosia. It's a neurological disorder in which you can't recognized people. So like if I look at myself in the mirror it'll take me some time to realize it's me. The only way we can identify people is with their clothes, their voices, the way they move. There are two ways you can get prosopagnosia, you can be born with it or you get it from a stroke, some neurological disease or head injury. I got my face blindness from a head injury.
Around 2.5% precent of people have it, so like around 50 people at this school have it."
She continued by saying loads of facts and asked if there were any questions. Almost half of the class raise their hand.
"OK seems like you've got a lot of questions Emery how about we go by row?"
She nodded and Anthony started asking his question.
"How does it work?"
"Well let's say that one of my family members was wearing a big grey coat and a hat, and three other strangers that looked similar to that family member were all wearing that same outfit. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference"
"Next"
"How did you get it?"
"Well, like I was saying before I got it from a head injury"
"Next"
"When?"
"Last Wednesday"
"Next"
"But like in detail what happen?"
"I was walking alone, and then I passed by this group of guys and one of them hit me on the side of the head, I slipped on the ice and hit my head"
"Next"
"Did it hurt?"
"No but, I got Prosopagnosia and a concussion from it"
"Next"
It was now my turn and asked the mot ridiculous question ever.
"At the beginning of your oral you said that Prosopagnosia was a part of why you weren't here. What was the other reason you weren't there?"
She paused. Everyone seemed to want the answer too.
"Maybe another time"

The rest of the class we legit had a group discussion about mental illnesses.
Ring Ring Ring
We all left surrounding Emery. Some asked her more questions some just intrigued. This was going to be one hell of a day.

Hey guys hope you enjoyed, Mystery♥︎