Chapter One

𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒪𝓃𝑒

𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒪𝓃𝑒

As the first heir to Valatava's throne, it was it was expected for Anna to be wed to another a heir. In this case, the heir to the throne of Markov. From the age of four, she was told that she was engaged, not that she minded at that age, hearing stories of princes and princesses seemed all too exiting for a child. But that that was it, she was a child then.

She was six when she first met Gregor, her parents and her flew to Markovia. It was the first time she had ever been away from her home country. Her hair was done neat, and she wore a pretty dress from what she could remember.

Butterflies - no bees - stung at her stomach. Because she knew, even at that age, that this wasn't just a marriage between a princess and prince, it was political merger. And she had to be perfect, because god knows Gregor has other suitors that could provide better alliances. The only advantage that Anna had was that she was a direct claim to a throne, whereas his other suitors did not.

"Stand up straight." Her mother ushered her, pushing Anna in front of herself. The family of four stood proudly, waiting for the family of Markovia to appear.

"Hans, Veronika!" She heard as a rather large man call as he entered the room with his wife and three children. Her eyes trailed from him to his wife, whom she could only describe as beautiful, her hair was a shade of blonde, close to white and had pearly blue eyes to match. With her she was carrying a girl who couldn't have been much older than Anna's younger sister, Perdita.

Her eyes finally settled on the boys that stood in front of the two. The two had looked both alike and unalike at the same time. The one on the left had darker hair and thinner eyebrows, and a scowl to match. The one on the right had thicker eyebrows and a lighter hue to his auburn hair, with a slight look of excitement dancing in his eyes.

"Gregor, say hello to the lovely girl." The father ushered the boy on the left, who's scowl still remained. Since Gregor still hadn't complied to his father's wish, his father pushed him forwards, towards Anna.

"Sorry. Gregor is feeling a little bit nervous." He said, through clenched teeth.

"Hello. I'm Gregor, it is nice to meet you."
His English was good, Anna noted which wasn't surprising of a dauphin, he was most likely taught many languages much like her. He finally complied pushing his hand at her. Anna followed, offering a soft smile, to which he did not return.

"My name Brion." The other boy, who's name she now knew was Brion, spontaneously introduced himself to her. His English could use some work, but that was probably because their parents didn't stress learning it too much on Brion as they did on Gregor.

"I'm Anna." She finally introduced herself, doing a curtsy in front of the boys and their family.

"I am King Victor and this is my wife Ilona," their father introduced, and her parents followed after. Once the formalities had been over, the children had been sent away to play in a different room, whereas their parents discussed politics.

The second time they had met they were ten, at Anna's parents' funeral. Their death was unexpected, increasing the tensions between Russia and Vlatava. The twin boys came to Vlatava out of respect for both Anna's family and a formality. The boys stood at the front of the service, Brion holding Anna's hands tightly as she clenched her other hand at her heart. Whereas Gregor stood on Brion's left.

The third time they had met was when Anna was eleven and officially declared the Queen of Vlatava, not old enough to be coronated formally, with her Uncle Vertigo as regent. Brion was once again the first to comfort her when she was having a panic attack before her coronation. He was also the first to give her a hug, and the first to write her a letter. Gregor didn't know how he never noticed his brother's growing attachment to his fiancé.

"Anna of Vlatava is here, your highness." One of Gregor's noblemen announced as the door to his study opened. In came a beautiful young woman, followed by her attendees. She was wearing a black dress, with a dark veil to cover her face, not only a sign of mourning but also a sign of respect.

"You may leave us." She ordered her ladies who immediately left the room, leaving the two young adults alone.

"Oh Gregor!" She called running up to him and bringing him to her arms. She wrapped her arms around him, forcibly bringing his head to the crook of her neck. She ran her hands down his back, trying her best to comfort him.

After a moment, Gregor pulled away from her, holding her from an arms distance. He slowly lifted her veil, and stared at the young woman under it. He hadn't seen her in what seemed to be years, corresponding in letters only. She had only become more beautiful as the years progressed, a reflection of her mother, having the same blonde hair and amber eyes.

"My parents' death is a matter of the past." He declared through clenched teeth, turning away from her. "You know that once I am of age, I will be coronated and our marriage will soon follow, correct?"

Anna pursed her lips, Gregor was always direct, she shouldn't have been surprised to see him speak of business so soon after his parents death. She frowned nevertheless, mature or not, she knew Gregor was hurting whether or not he showed it on the surface.

"Anna?" He said softly. She had never head Gregor speak in such a tender tone, and was that concern in his voice? "I am aware of Markovia's current position." She responded, taking a step back and refraining from speaking in fear that her voice would soon crack. Gregor was so much older than his age, she couldn't imagine what it must be like for Gregor, having to act so strong in front her and his country, having to show Markovia that his parents death did not make the country weak.

"I'll get the maids to clear out a room for you." He announced. Anna nodded. "I-I'm going to see Brion now."

She pulled her veil back down to cover her face and gave Gregor one last firm nod. She left the room for another, this one down the hall. The door was open, allowing for her to sneak a view from afar.

Brion was sitting in a corner of his room, his head in held his hands. She gave a knock on the door, "Brion?" she called.

"A-Anna?" His head snapped, wiping quickly at his eyes, before standing up and quickly jogging to the doors. Before Anna could greet him, he pulled her close in to his arms.

Brion was much easier to read when it came to emotions. He always wore his heart on his sleeve. Whether that was good thing or bad thing, Anna wasn't so sure, but it made comforting him all the more easier.

He pulled her veil over her head in one swift motion, taking a break to admire her face. Alluringly, she would blink her eyes from time to time, allowing her eyelashes to flutter like the wings of a butterfly. God, her eyes were simply spellbinding. They were a rapturous shade of hazel brown, much more appealing then his own dark pair. Each one held a coruscate gleam that enhanced their beauty.

He eventually calmed down, his arms never leaving her side. "I've missed you."

[A/N: UUGGGGGHHHH this is soo crap. I'm sorry guys 😖😖😖.  I'll try to do better next time.

Pls give feed back and vote !!

+ this is kind of au-ish because it's a little bit old fashioned in the way that royalty has more control over a country than its parliament does if that makes sense? And it's also inspired by Reign]

word count: 1354