Chapter One

r e v i t a l i ze: to imbue with new life and vitality 

Chapter One Estella

As I looked down at the dress that was squeezing every inch of my body, I felt a sudden surge of confidence. The white fabric accentuated the curves that I chose to hide behind baggy clothes practically every other day of the year. This feeling was remarkable. On top of that, happiness flooded throughout my body. I mean, how else would I feel on the night of my twenty-first birthday besides thrilled?

"Are you ready?" My roommate, Violet, asked from the other side of my bedroom door. I opened the door and nodded. "Oh my gosh. You look amazing," she added once she saw me. 

"Thank you. I feel great," I told her contentedly.

Violet and I met a year and a half ago when I came to the University of Houston. She lived down the hall from me in our dorm, and when we bonded over not getting along with our roommates, we immediately clicked. While I do have many friends here, she is by far my best friend. Violet knows everything about me, even the bad parts, and she has been there for me more than anyone else has. I don't know what I would do without her.

"Let's get going," Violet said with a grin.

"Where are we even going?" I asked. She had said the name of the club we were going to earlier today, but the name had completely slipped from my mind. 

"It's called Illusion. I have been there with my friends from high school a bunch of times," Violet informed me. She is from Houston, Texas, so she always knows where to get gas for a cheaper price, the best restaurants around town, and apparently the top nightclubs in our city. 

"Okay, sounds good. Let me get on my heels real quick," I replied. Violet went to do the same. 

After slipping on my silver heels, I took one last look at myself. I could not remember the last time I felt this confident about my looks and myself in general. It was foreign to me, but all I wanted at this moment, was for the feeling to last forever. 

"You deserve this," I pointed at myself in the mirror demandingly, and I meant it with every part of me.

———

Cameron

I slammed the thin binder down on my desk. The numbers weren't adding up. Elizabeth must have fucked it up.

"This all needs to be redone," I scowled. It would take a whole week to redo and I didn't have time.

"Should I let Elizabeth know?" Liam asked. I peered up at him, rage visible in my eyes. I could sense that he was nervous about what I was going to say next. It appeared he was preparing himself for me to flip my shit.

"No. Ask Joanne instead. Maybe she knows how to get the job done," I snapped. "Not only did she screw it up, but this was due three days ago! I'm gonna need to schedule a private meeting with Elizabeth."

"Hey, calm down. I'll let Joanne know what she needs to do. She won't disappoint. And as for Elizabeth, just sleep on it and make up your mind tomorrow about what you want to do about the situation once you're relaxed," he offered. I took a deep breath and nodded. The stress was really getting to me today. My day had been absolute shit. I needed a break. A long one.

As if Liam could read my mind, he said, "I have an idea. How about we hit up Illusion tonight and let loose." I looked down at my watch and noticed that it was just past 11:30. "You know how the ladies are on Friday nights," Liam winked. Vivid memories resurfaced in my mind of the girl that I had met last weekend. I can still feel her petite waist in my hands.

"I'll meet you down in the lobby in ten," I said.

Soon after, Liam and I were in my car on our way to our favorite nightclub. One of our good friends owned Illusion, meaning that we were able to cut the outrageously long line and go in for free. It felt good to have connections in times and places like this. There was no shot in hell that I would ever wait in line for over thirty minutes. Ever.

Liam and I had been buddies since the fourth grade, and when his dream of being a movie director was squashed, I took him under my wing when I became CEO of my father's company. He was less of my co-worker and more like a wingman to me. Most of the time, people had their jobs saved because Liam helped knock some sense into me. My employees should truly be kissing Liam's ass instead of mine.

When we made it into the nightclub, Liam and I immediately migrated towards the bar. Two shots of tequila were greeted for us by Jenni. She was by far the best-looking bartender at Illusion, and she knew it. We accepted them and turned around to watch the girls onstage as they danced with their promiscuous hips.

"I need to find me a hot, blond chick tonight. That's who I'm in the mood for right now. I met this crazy redhead last week who had the freakiest kinks. She wanted me to call her Ms. Piggy," Liam informed me, raising his voice so that he could be heard over the booming music.

"And did you call her Ms. Piggy?" I questioned. He guiltily turned his head away from me, revealing his answer without even muttering a word. "No way," I laughed.

"She was hot as hell dude!" Liam insisted. The two of us looked back out into the crowd of people dancing. He gently nudged my shoulder after a few seconds and said, "Not as hot as her though. Damn."

I followed the direction of his eyes and landed on a girl with legs that seemed a mile long. She was the only one wearing white in a crowd of girls all dressed in black, navy blue, or red. Her hair cascaded down her bare back as she danced rhythmically to the bass of the music. I quickly caught a glimpse of her face as she tilted her head in the perfect direction.

The music seemed to slow down, as well as my pounding heart. I felt a weight lift off my shoulders as I continued to admire her from afar. My eyes were drawn to her body as she moved flawlessly, luring me helplessly to the dance floor.

"I guess I'll go find that blond now!" Liam called out behind me, but I was too mesmerized to answer. I already had my eyes on the prize.

———

First chapter = done. I hope that you like it so far! Just you wait, you love-craving people. I will feed you, don't worry (;

Don't forget to like, comment, and share my story so others can read it as well! Bye for now <3.