C H A P T E R 1

MELANIE

"It's a great day at Red Roses , how may I help you ?"

It's the same question everyday. I ask it everytime the phone rings. Sometimes it's not even a great day but I lie.

It's my job.

Not to lie. But to convince people that our hotel has the best customer service.

Most of the time I don't believe myself when I say this. It sounds too rehearsed and overused. But I say it nonetheless.

"Is it ?" I hear.

"Excuse me ?"

"A great day I mean, is it ?" The deep male voice questions.

I never had this before. "It depends on how the day has been treating you so far, sir." I reason. For me, it has been a quite pleasant day.

Nate made breakfast for us two and seems to be in a much pleasant mood than the past few months. He even offered to walk the dog. He is getting better by the days. We are taking it step by step. One day we will reach our goal. As for now, I just tiptoe around him, making sure I do not step on his feet.

"Are you sure ? Because I think it's the people you meet during the day that make or destroy your day. They determine how your day will end or continue. If you don't meet these people then your day may have been wonderful. Or awful." I stay silent. The voice is hoarse like it has been screaming the whole day. But velvety and deep at the same time.

"You shouldn't let people determine your life." I shortly answer after an awkward silence.

"Should not." He says.

"Pardon ?"

"You said shouldn't. Professionally it should be should not."He explains.

"Seeing as we were talking about your personal problems, I would think that we have passed professionalism." I highlight.

The voice chuckles. "Well, miss.."

"Melanie." I finish for him.

"Miss Melanie, I am pleased with your customer services. I would be sure to give your hotel 3 stars."

"Only 3 ?" I ponder.

"You are not that professional, miss Melanie." I hear the smile in the persons voice. I laugh .

"Well, goodbye now." My eyebrows furrow as I stare at the office phone in my hand as it goes silent.

That was weird and quite interesting. Never have I had a conversation with a stranger that was only a tad bit awkward. It has always been awkward at the start. I sigh as I carry on with the paper work that I have to finish before the day ends.

My current job is the most tiring job I have ever had. Being a receptionist of the most successful hotels in our small town makes me busy all the time. I barely have time for my self, let alone my brother.

I'm not complaining too much though. The paycheck is a sight I don't mind seeing. Mr Osborne handles his employees with much care that it is hard to openly complain about the amount of work is shed your way.

I busy myself until it is time I have to go. By that time most of the afternoon shift staff have already left. The only people left is the door guy, myself and the cleaning staff. People who stay at the hotel are mostly loitering around the buffet corner.

I patiently wait for Ellie to arrive and take the night shift since the hotel opens 24 hours everyday.

She is late. Again.