C H A P T E R 4

MELANIE

I pick up my shoes and put them under the desk again.

Was that his daughter ? She does look like him a little but more like his grandmother. Could that be his child ? That would mean he had her at 18 and I'm not judging but it doesn't seem like he would have a child so young. Yet again, no one at that age actually plans to have kids.

Michaela also stated that her mother died. I wonder who her mother was. Does that mean Skylar is her stepmom?

Joe steps into the foyer dressed in casual wear that I've never seen him in. He looks a little weird in boots, jeans and a knitted sweater. He smiles as he spots me. "Melanie! How are you this evening?" He rests his elbows on the desk.

I place my glasses on my head, smiling up at him. "I am fine thank you, how are you ?"

"Eh, can't complain." He laughs. The elevator door opens and Brian steps out in grey sweat-shorts and a royal blue hoodie. His eyes rake around the foyer before they settle on mine. He walks casually towards my desk. Joe turns around and laughs as Brian stands in front of us. "Ah! Brian ! How are you ? Is your stay here good ?" They do the manly handshake side hug thing. Never understood that and I never will. Why won't they just hug each other ?

Brian chuckles his eyes returning back to mine. "I'm good. And the stay is okay, could be better" Joe laughs seemingly oblivious to the intense stare down between Brian and I. I remove my eyes from his and put my glasses back on pretending to be working, ignoring the men in front of me.

He is here to tell you that you are fired you know. I mentally roll my eyes at my conscious.

"Yeah, that is fine, Melanie?" I raise my head at the sound of my name. "Beth is coming back tomorrow and Brian, here insists you take the whole day off tomorrow." A smiling Joe says and looks back at a smirking Brian.

"Uh, that won't be necessary sir- I mean Joe." My voice is horse as if I was screaming. I cough a little to clear it out. Brian's smirk falters. His mouth turns into a frown as he holds my gaze. His tongue darts out to lick his lips.

"It's an order. Like I said before, go home now, you don't sound well." Brian says sternly. Joe looks between us and slowly backs away. Looking at him he raises his hands in surrender and chuckles.

"Who will sit here if I'm gone ?"

"We will close the reception area until the other receptionist's shift. You are more than half way through yours so, go home." The authority in his voice makes him look so attractive. He rounds the table putting his hand  out for me to take. I hurriedly log off my account on the computer and take my bag. I take my shoes in the same hand and allow him to gently lift me up with my other hand in his.

"Bye Joe." I silently bid.

Brian puts his hand on my lower back and leads me towards the parking lot for employees. "Where is your car ?" He asks looking around the parking lot.

I look up at him and chuckle. I take out my brother's keys and unlock the car. The lights turn on and I head to the direction of the car. Tiptoeing because I'm not wearing any shoes.

Brian silently walks behind me and stops next to me as I open the door and put my bag and shoe over the console on the passenger seat. "Where's your car ? Are you some kind of drug dealer changing cars in the middle of the week ?" Brian jokes.

I laugh quietly, "My car broke down, this is my brother's."

Turning around, Brian steps closer to me. He holds my gaze in his. Bringing his hand up to my face, he tucks the strand of hair on my forehead behind my ear. "You are so beautiful." He whispers. My face automatically leans into his touch, my eyes closing. "Open your eyes, Mel." Opening my eyes his face is only inches away from mine. His eyes on my lips. If I lean forward our lips would touch.

Do I want that ? It would confuse the hell out of me and it would be awkward considering he is literally my boss. I don't think I want to involve myself in this kind of-

His lips touch mine.

Cliffhanger!

And I know it's a very short chapter, I am sincerely sorry!!!

I just needed to upload because I will be doing a double upload!

So next chapter will make up for this one! It will be extra long <3 !!

Please remember to like, comment and share <3 !