2

Zyolin

I sat in Tinashe's bed along with Leah and Hayley.

"Zy why your hair always fro'd out and shit. That ain't cute. A silk press wouldn't hurt, I know it's nappy." Hayley told me.

What would you know about nappy hair?

I just stared at her, what kind of question was that. Hayley was mixed, I know some mixed kids have kinky hair and all but she wasn't one of those kids. You could comb through her hair with ease.

I wasn't about to get a silk press because the one time that I did get one it damaged my ends. I happen to like my hair the way it is. But I did take slight offense to her comment because this twist out was only two days old and I thought it still looked good.

"Why we never chill at your house Zy?" Leah asked.

"So what y'all trying to get into tonight?" Tinashe said changing the subject, which I was thankful for.

The truth was that I didn't have a house. I didn't flaunt the three bedroom apartment that I lived in. We weren't poor, but we weren't really rich. If anything, me and my family were grateful. Being a single mother, my mom tried hard to give us the best she could. And I can honestly say that her best was enough. My dad lived in Atlanta so I didn't see him that often, but that didn't stop him from spoiling us. He would send me a monthly allowance that exceeded the price of the things that I actually needed. Most of the time I save it but if my mom ever needed any money I wouldn't hesitate to give her more than what she needed. But since she was a nurse it wasn't hard for her to provide for us. I wasn't proud of where I stayed but I wasn't ashamed of it either, it's people with way less than what I have. Plus it was just temporary, since my father left us high and dry we had to improvise.

"Shit, what y'all tryna do?" Leah asked.

In all honesty I wanted to go the fuck home.

"I'm feeling kind of sick, can you drop me home?"

"You sure you wanna go home? We probably gone hit up Ty party at the Black room."

"Tinashe that party is for seniors and up, they not gonna let no juniors in."

"Oh trust me, Ty gone let us in." She smirked.

I know she slept with him, she might do it again just to get into this party.

"Well I don't feel good, my stomach is killing me" I lied.

"Alright. Yall I'm bouta drop her off. Don't fuck up my room or I'm beating y'all asses"
____________
Next day...
It had been a week since the incident with Tahiry and I did my best to stay out of her way since I didn't want a replay of what happened.

I walked down the hallway receiving all different types of stares, this wasn't new to me though. Every since the beginning of sophomore year I've been getting those stares.

I sat in third period trying my best to focus. This was the class period I took with Tahiry and her brother Omarr.

This was one of my favorite classes, English literature.

"Ok y'all, so I have a project for y'all that some of you may like, some of you may not."

"We partnering up?" A boy from the back of the class asked Mrs.Calvin.

"Yep, but I'm assigning them." She announced causing the class to groan.

She began pairing up students and when she got to my name I sighed. I didn't know anyone in this class who I would enjoy working with.