Prologue

The sun was shinning bright, beautiful rays through the passing clouds to the new, colorful playground in the park. The wind was breezing through the trees, making the golden leaves of autumn drift peacefully to the bottom of trees, making a pile of soft, golden leaves on the fresh grass. The laughter of kids floated around the park like the melody. Mothers beaming happily, proud of the fun their kids were having and how fast they had grown up. The brand-new colorful pipes of the playground rattled with the happiness, which it was coming from the happy kids. Everything is perfect.

"Hailey." A little boy's voice called my name.

I turned around and realized the voice belonged to one of my friends. My friend was standing about four feet away, fiddling with his hoodie's zipper.

"Yeah?" I said, staring into his wide, energetic blue eyes.

He ran his fingers into his dark hair that rests above his full eyebrows, looking nervous. "Can you make me a promise?"

I nodded my head, waiting for his proposal.

"Promise me, you will marry me in the future." He said, looking down and shifted his weight on his short legs.

Marry him? Why would I want to marry him? And why does he want to marry an ugly girl like me? Everyone in my school always call me "Hag Hailey" because they think I'm the ugliest girl in the whole world and mocked everything what I do. I'm ugly.

 And I don't want to marry any boy. Boys are gross and they have cooties!!

"Why?" I asked him, feeling confused.

He looked up into my boring brown eyes. "Because you're beautiful and I like you. You are better than other girls." He said, smirking.

I frowned, what does 'beautetul" mean and why am I better than other girls? I'm not better than any girls! I'm ugly! My eight-year-old brain couldn't understand him. He talks weird.

"Well?" He asked, snapping me out of my thoughts. He tilted his head like a puppy, waiting for my answer.

"Okay." I blurted out without thinking.

His whole face lifted up, his eyes sparkling full of happiness and he was wearing a huge grin, showing his missing front tooth and dimples on both sides of his cheeks. He looked so happy, "Pinky promise?"

I gulped hard, I want to say "no" so bad, but I don't want to see his face crumple down. "Pinky promise."

His smile widened, his pinkie intertwined into my pinkie and shook it. I regret this already.

"Our wedding will be big, beautiful, and fun!" He said dreamily, releasing my pinkie. 

I smiled shyly, feeling a blush creeping on my cheeks, "Yeah." I said, lying. I really don't want to marry him! But, he said "beautetul" again. What does that mean??

He sighed happily, "I--"

"Hailey!" My mommy called, interuppting my friend. "Let's go."

I looked to the direction where my mommy's voice came from. I saw my mommy standing on the sidewalk, watching us. I turned around to my friend and shot him an apologetic look.

"I'm sorry, I have to go. Bye." I said, my smile fading.

He nodded sadly, "It's okay, Hailey. I'll see you soon."

I smiled gracefully and started running toward my mommy. When I reached my mommy, I looked behind me and saw him standing at the same place where I left him. I lifted my small hand and waved at him. He smiled and waved me back. 

I felt my mommy took my hand and started to walk toward my mommy's car. "Mommy." I called.

"Yeah, Hailey?" My mommy said, looking down to me.

"What beautetul means?" I asked her, remembering what my friend had said twice.

My mommy smiled, "It's beautiful, not beautetul. Repeat me, Hailey. Beautiful."

"Beautiful." I pronounced the words slowly. 

My mommy nodded her head, still smiling. "Yeah, you got it right. Good job, Hailey!" 

I squealed, "Yay!" 

My mommy laughed softly, "Sweetie, beautiful means very pretty. You're very beautiful girl, Hailey."

I giggled; my mommy and he think I'm beautiful than others! I can't wait to see my friend again and tell him that I had learned a new word! He would be proud of me!

And, I never saw him again after today.

.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.-._.

Author's Note:

That's right, guys. I'm writing a new book! Hopefully, you will like this!

Don't forget to vote and comment!

~Arielle