The next night

It's was late the next night when Paige slipped out of the house. A bag of raw hamburger tucked under her arm. She knew she would be in trouble if her parents found out but she didn't care. In her hand she held a small medical kit that her mother kept hidden under the bathroom sink. Paige had learned how to use a medical kit early on and the bruise forming on her chin was just one of the many reasons. She padded along the pathway and to the curb where she sat down with a huff. Setting down the medical kit she grabbed the bag of hamburger and opened it allowing the scent to fill the air. Even though she lived in California, the air still had a bite to it. Paige shivered through her thin pajamas before grabbing a little of the burger and started to roll it into a ball in her hands as she waited. She sat there for a few minutes letting the cold dig away at her skin as her fingers expertly rolled the meat into a sphere.

She wasn't sure how long she sat there before she heard a small yap from down the road. Her attention turned to the street as three dogs trotted along the road following the scent of the meat. Quickly getting to her feet Paige tossed the piece of meat in her hand as the first dog took it. The other two started running their teeth barring as they charged forward the hunger evident in their eyes. Paige dropped the bag of meat as she stumbled backwards tripping over her own feet and landed on the ground with a thud. The dogs almost cackled as they grew closer their teeth chomping in anticipation. Paige could feel the tears rushing down her face as she scooted backwards trying to get away from the feral dogs.

A shadow overcame her filling the yard with a dark silhouette. The dogs stopped running, their eyes scanning the newcomer that towered far above them. Their ears flattened and they whimpered their tails rushing between their legs. A large claw slammed down in front of Paige as the creature stood over her a growl rolling off his tongue. A roar ripped from its throat as the dogs turned their fearful yelps filling the air as they rushed away from the creature that protected the child. With a puff of a breath the creature turned its attention to Paige who was sitting under his stomach. Stepping around her the creature scanned her over checking her for injuries. The tears had stopped falling from the girls face but the trails stained her face. The creature gave a soft coo before moving over to where the bag of hamburger laid.

Paige looked up at the houses around them, and was relieved to see that no one had come out to check on the noise outside. Getting to her feet she stepped closer to the creature and grabbed the medical kit. Opening it up she dug through it before producing some alcohol wipes and bandages. Standing back she watched as the creature tore at the bag pulling chunks of raw meat from it. Carefully she moved closer to the creatures arm noticing that the blood was now dried but it kept its arm tucked close to its body. Slowly, she reached up and light touched the creatures scaled skin getting it to react. The creature gave off a low growl before turning its body so that it was harder for the six year old to get at the arm.

"I can help." Paige said as she moved towards the creature again. Moving its body away from her it gave off another growl and pulled its tail closer to its chest trying to block the child.

"It'll feel better." Paige muttered as the creatures growling grew louder his teeth mashing. The creature moved its head closer towards her trying to frighten the child away. Paige flicked the beasts nose getting it to shake its head in response. "Let me see your arm." Paige ordered pointing to the creatures arm. Another growl escaped the creature as Paige huffed a breath before rolling up her right sleeve exposing the slightly tanned skin. A large burn ran from her wrist to her elbow it was a few months old now. The creature stepped forward sniffing at her arm getting the scent of the child through its nostrils.

"I know it hurts, but I know how to help it." Paige stated as the creature attention turned towards the girl, their eyes connecting for a few seconds. Ever so slowly the creature pulled its tail away from its arm. The creature laid down on the ground his body partly wrapped around the child blocking her from the road and the wind. Paige stepped closer now earning a low grumble from the beast as she took the creature's claw in her hand. Paige opened the first alcohol wipe as she looked up at the creature laying beside her.

"I should name you." Paige stated as she began moving closer to the creatures arm. A pained whimper escaped the beast as she started to clean around the cut. "You saved me from those dogs... Angel... I will call you Angel."
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Here's the next chapter guys. Hope your all having a wonderful day.