The storage shed

The next few day passed by in a blur as her parents were working for most of it. Being alone Paige was able to sneak Angel into the backyard where the creature slept inside the large storage shed. She easily visited him every day while her parents were gone and cared for his arm, changing out the bandages. In the evening when everyone was fast asleep she would sometimes sneak out and watch him run at night. She noticed he did not stray very far from her house and that brought a smile to her face. Sunday night as she combed through her dinosaur books, she scanned the pages while Angel laid behind her. His tail was partly wrapped around her keeping her close to him and his bandaged arm rested peacefully by his side. His breathe steady and if Paige didn't know any better she would have assumed he was asleep. But each movement she made caused his eye to peek open enough to see her before it shut a few moments later.

"You have to be a raptor." Paige whispered as she touched the image of the velociraptor. She looked Angel over again taking in the shape of his scales and coloring. His teeth protruded out of his mouth much like an alligators. He might be part alligator, Paige thought as she stared at Angels spikes that cover a good portion of his back and neck. Shaking her head, he didn't have the same scales as alligators do or snakes for that matter. She wasn't even sure if they were scales to be honest because it felt like a tough skin to her. Leaning back against Angels side she flipped the page noting that a t-Rex had similar skin to Angel.

"Part t-Rex?" Paige asked as Angel released a large breath finally relaxing enough to doze off. Paige bit her lip thinking as she shut the book and grabbed her backpack. Angel's eye snapped open as she dug out a few pieces of paper and crayons. The beast raised his head as Paige started drawing on the paper a very rough image of Angel. Digging out the colors that she needed she started coloring the image as Angel watched her intently. After a bit Paige raised the paper to the beast getting it to look at the crude drawing. Leaning forward Angel sniffed at the page before giving a small sneeze.

"Bless you." Paige laughed as the creature stretched out once more before laying fully down his head resting comfortably on the cement floor. "I thought dinosaurs were only on the island." Paige mumbled as Angel glanced at her from where he was. "How'd you get here?" A huff of a breath was the only response as Paige shook her head at the beast.

"Paige!" A voice shouted from the house rousing Angel to raise his head a low grumble coming from his throat. Paige quickly shoved everything into her backpack and got up, gesturing for Angel to stay. Angel is having none of that though as he gets to his feet only to have Paige slam the door in his face. Angel cocks his head debating the idea of breaking the wooden door down as his listens to the voices outside of the shed.

"Why were you playing in the shed?" A woman's voice asked as Paige responded with silence. An annoyed grumble accompanied a slam of the screen door and Angel reached for the door handle. The handle creaked as Angel pushed it down allowing the door to swing open. Slipping out of the shed, a small flick of his tail and the door shut behind him. Raising his nose into the air, he sniffed deeply hunting for a scent before he lowered his upper body to the ground with a thud. Silently, Angel moved closer to the house casting a glance into the window seeing Paige sitting in a chair eating.

A bark echoed through the air as Angel turned planning on going for a little snack. Effortlessly he climbed the large wooden fence taking care not to damage it as he landed on the space between the houses. His nose rising once again as the sound of barking comes from a few houses down along with laughter. Shaking his head Angel turned trotting away in the opposite direction looking for a less noticeable meal. Crossing the street he disappeared into the brush moving silently up and away from Paige's house. His movements are planned and performed with a certainty that only a master hunter should have possessed. His claws click as they hit rocks and other obstacles but his attention is focused on a meal. Coming to a halt he sniffed the ground and with a huff he started tracking his prey. He silently crossed yards, his shadow warning alert dogs but he ignores them. His attention is fully on the scent of a deer that is only a few hours old.

It took him a little less than an hour to find the doe and only a few minutes to capture and devour his kill. Ripping and tearing at the motionless body he indulged himself as the forest stood watch in silence. Once his meal was devoured the bones broken and swallowed leaving not trace of his existence besides splatters of blood. He moved to a small pond not far away from where his feast was and gulped down some of the water. The water washed away the crimson color from his dark hide, then he retreated making the trek back to the shed.

When he returned to Paige's, the house was dark. Slowly he moved towards the back door sniffing the air and scenting a trace of copper in his nostrils, blood. His attention turned to the door handle as he carefully balanced himself on his back legs and used his bandaged arm to slowly turn the handle. The door creaked open with a soft sound and he carefully slipped into the house where the scent was stronger now. His claws clicked quietly on the ground as he looked around the dark kitchen. Another sniff and he moved a bit further into the house following the coppery scent of Paige's blood his claws catching the carpeting as he moved forward. Puffing out an uncertain breath he looked the stairs over but the scent doesn't linger there. Shifting around the stairs he moved towards a hallway with an open door and shut door. Glancing into the open room he took in the porcelain white of the bathroom before turning his attention to the closed door.

He moved closer the scent filling his nose as he carefully opened the door only to hear a whimper and a small cry. Angel stepped a bit more into the room only to hear the soft voice of Paige speak up.

"Angel? Why are you in the house?" Paige mumbled as she slipped out from under the bed. Small traces of blood were smeared on her lip as Angel inched closer to her sniffing the small girl as she wiped her eyes with her sleeve. "Come on. You shouldn't be here." She whispered touching the beast's neck and moving forward forcing him to backup and out of the room. She cautiously peered into the kitchen looking around quickly before ushering him out of the small space. She was a bit surprised that he didn't break something with his tail or claws. Guiding him back to the shed she opened the door allowing the dark colored monster to enter the safe place. Angel moved into the building as Paige gave him a small smile and prepared to shut the door behind her. A sharp claw hooked the collar of her shirt dragging her backwards towards him.

"Angel I can't stay here." Paige whispered as the creature shut the door with his body and effectively blocked the exit. Paige huffed out a breath before stamping her foot on the ground but one look from the monster has her sighing in surrender. "Fine but only for a little while." Paige informed the beast as it grabbed her shirt with his teeth as gently as possible pulled her towards him. Laying down he curled himself protectively around the six year old as she settled herself against the warm beast. Angel watched as the girl peacefully fell asleep against his stomach before he let slumber take him as well.
——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Hope you guys are enjoying the story so far.