3.3

haha i'm gonna torture (Y/N) soon

________

You lean against the wall, sitting on your bed on the top bunk. Drake sits on his, sitting just as you are, facing you.

"Do you think it's an upgrade?" You ask.

Drake shrugs. "I don't know, maybe. I don't think an 'upgrade' is the right term, though."

You hum. "Yeah, good point. What else would it be?"

"What else would what be?"

"Law! Did you get my texts?"

He pulls out his phone from his pocket, turning it on and flashing the screen towards you, the notifications of your messages clear, filling the screen entirely.

"Clearly. Anyway, what'd what be?" He sits on his own bed, just beneath yours, and takes off his hat. You shift to look down at him, arms folded and resting on the railing.

"Well, Kid used to only refer to me as another word for female dog, right?"

He narrows his eyes. "Right..."

"So, when I got separated from you, I ran into Kid, and the police found us right? But it was fine, he has like 50 fake IDs in his wallet, and he had one that looked vaguely like me. And we played it off that we were older and definitely not commiting truancy. And I did good, and instead of calling me that word, he called me 'giorra'. So I asked if it's an upgrade, but Drake's said 'PFfT nAh It'S nOT An UpGRadE' so I didn't know what it'd be."

"Okay, first of all I do not sound like that," Drake says.

Law sighs. "Why does it even matter? Eustass-ya is really just a brutish idiot."

"Why not just ask? Kid, I mean. Just ask him what it means."

"That's a good idea! Thanks, Drake. I'm gonna go find him and ask what it means."

"Did you really not think of that?" Law asks, snorting.

You paused. "No? I know, I know. I'm stupid and can't think."

"I never said that."

"But you were going to, so I made fun of myself before you could." You slip on your shoes. "Thanks Drake, Law, I'm gonna head out. It's getting to be dinner, too. I'm gonna drop by the cafeteria." You grab your phone and wallet.

"Can you grab me some food? I'll pay you back," Drake asks.

"Oh, me too," says Law.

"Sure, what'd you guys want?"

Drake thinks for a second. "There's a chicken and rice dish, I'll have that."

"Make that two," Law adds. "And be careful with your knee. No more running or anything that'll stress it too much. If it hurts too much, come back and take some pain medicine."

"Gotcha. See ya."

You head out before they can return the farewell.

Since it'd be best if the food was still warm when they got it, you first look for Kid. A small nagging told you that you don't want to see him. You don't want to confront him, because he's a criminal. He's done bad things, and he'll get you wound in his string of lies and crimes if you let him. Unsure of how to handle such feelings, you shake them off and check where you think he might be. After all, he's still Kid.

You look everywhere: the gym building, the arena, the workshop building you didn't know existed until just now. Eventually, you give up and figure you can ask him when he gets back to the dorm.