Without The Love

Harry knew everything was too good to be true as he returned home after the kiss. That kiss, as passionate and intense as it was, turned out to be just the calm before the storm.

Maybe she was the storm herself.

Maybe that was why hurricanes were named after people.

For three days straight Harry hadn't heard a single word from Thea. She didn't answer his calls and ignored his messages. She acted like he didn't exist, and he was too afraid to come see her in person. He didn't know what she was feeling and thinking. His Bambi was as unpredictable as the weather. Maybe a part of him also knew it was for the best if he stayed away. But the other parts of him were missing her terribly.

That was how he ended up at her front door at two in the morning after receiving her text, which simply said 'please come over'. And he didn't even hesitate to get into his car and drove straight to her place.

When Thea opened the door, she was wearing her pajamas which were too big for her body but it seemed like she was enjoying the comfort. He didn't need to ask to know she was slightly drunk, her rosy cheeks and hooded eyes already gave herself away. Without saying a single word, she closed the door after he'd entered and wrapped her arms around his neck, catching him by surprise.

"I missed you," she whispered. Those three words made him feel weak. He finally lifted his hands to place them on her lower back, pulling her closer if that was possible. It had been only three days, but for him those three days felt like years.

"Then why did you ignore me?" He asked, wondering to himself if she could make out to sadness in the sound of his question. However, he assumed she was too drunk to realize.

But Thea wasn't as drunk as he thought she was. She had gone out for a few drinks, but she still knew what she was doing. It was the alcohol that gave her the courage to text him. She knew he came to see her to receive an explanation, for her disappearance in the last three days. Nevertheless, she couldn't give him one. He wouldn't be able to understand.

How could she tell him she woke up the next morning after her birthday and regretted everything that had happened the night before? How could she justify her being scared of the happiness she felt when she was with him? She couldn't. So all she could do right now was hold him tighter and tighter.

"We're bad for each other," she finally said.

"Maybe." His voice was heavy. "Maybe not."

Thea slowly pulled away, just enough for their eyes to meet, but not enough for their lips to touch. She could feel that it was killing him as much as it was killing her. "With you, I cannot think straight," she confessed. "I wanted to stop seeing you. I was gonna text you to say goodbye...but I couldn't. I can't stay away..."

"Then don't." Those words slipped out from Harry's lips before he could stop himself. Apparently, it wasn't just her who couldn't think straight. He cupped her face between his palms, wanting to kiss her again but he remembered what she'd said the night of her birthday, and knew that he wasn't allowed to do it. "I don't...don't want you to," he pleaded, hoping it was sincere enough, because he could still see the doubt in her eyes. Of course, she had to doubt him, after all, he'd failed to keep his word so many times before. So a part of Harry could guess the reason she was afraid of being close to him. And to be honest, he was just as terrified. Together, they might set themselves on fire.

"How do you feel about me?" Her next question was a whisper, followed by a soft laugh. "Am I still a little girl to you, Harry?"

He could only shake his head fast, mouth mumbling a single word "no", which made her smile. Even though he didn't answer her first question, she still let that one go.