chapter one

Once Upon a Time there was a girl. A girl who found herself fighting wars inside of her head. She was a knight, battling the front lines against villainous dragons. She was a princess locked in a tower, until one day the tower came tumbling down. Until the day  she left the stories of her mind. Decided that such fantasies of her mind were no longer real.

Until one day, they found her.

******

The edge of the garden was the first thing I saw after I was told my mother died. There were chrysanthemums beginning to bloom, it's pink petals peaking at me under the morning sun. My mother liked the color pink. I used to think she'd paint the world in it one day.

I used to think a lot of things.

The garden was torn down with the rest of the house, an entire history and life reverted to soil and dust.

My father insisted we needed a change. We moved across country.

I insisted he was an asshole.

My head bumped against the window, the car gliding not so carefully along the road. My skin felt clammy, my mind felt muddled and I was desperately in need of a shower when my sister tapped my shoulder.

"[Y/N] do think there will be monsters in this town?"

My sister had taken a certain affinity to the fantasy of books. She was only 10 and already asked the sort of questions that felt all to like a metaphor.

"I don't think so, buggie."

My father had requested transfer to another job location not even a day after the funeral. I had three weeks to say goodbye to the few life time friends I had made. Three weeks to say goodbye to an entire eighteen years of life.

My father seemed excited for the move. It was all he talked about. All his mind seemed to be able to focus on.

I was still seeing the color pink.

"Are you sure, [y/n]?" She asked. Her legs were crossed beneath her, her seat belt tucked under her arm.

I sighed, reaching across to fix the strap. "I get that it isn't comfortable, but you need to wear your seatbelt correctly. You know this, buggie."

She frowned, pushing her glasses further up her nose. And then, ever so reluctantly fixed her seatbelt.

My father, who had barely talked to either one of us, finally broke his silence "The school you'll be going to was alarmed at how late in the year a senior was transferring, so they requested you start right away."

His voice sounded like a mound of sand. A thousand grains pieced together. It seemed whole. Seemed magnificent and strong. But it wasn't solid.

"Okay." I mumbled softly.

"That means tomorrow, [y/n]"

"What?!" I shot up, "We packed so fast I don't know where any of my things are?"

Dad sighed, his eyes glued on the road. I couldn't help but notice his grip tighten on the steering wheel. "You can just wash what your wearing now, and wear it again tomorrow."

I decided it best not to retaliate.

My eyes moved back to the window, and slowly my mind began to wander.

When I was younger, I used to have a vivid imagination.

I would look outside and see a thousand different worlds along the landscape. Worlds hidden inside of trees and old houses. Worlds of magic and power and fantasy. I'd imagine myself fighting horrible villains with eyes of terror and magnificent power. I would always win of course, along side some imaginary friends.