𝟎𝟎𝟎. prologue

— 

LYDIA SWAN WAS THE KINDEST person that Bella Swan knew. She was her cousin, from her fathers side, and she couldn't wish for a better family member besides her father and mother - even if they didn't exactly grow up around each other as much as they would have liked, and only really spent time together when Bella would come down to stay with her father for the summer (which she eventually stopped doing), they got along really well, and it was always a highlight of the visit, seeing Lydia and hanging out with her. Bella had never really had any friends growing up, since she was an introvert, but she would always class her only cousin as her best friend. Lydia, on the other hand, was an extrovert, she had friends, something that Bella never truly experienced, and when she was younger, she used to idolise how easily the girl made friends and how everyone seemed to like her, she would be jealous about it, but now, as she was all grown up, she enjoyed how she kept to herself, and wouldn't even mind it when she moves to Forks and starts the new school (halfway through the year). She wouldn't mind not having any friends, she was used to it, and she even enjoyed it.

Bella wasn't the happiest when she realised that the only way her mother could be happy was to move to Forks with her father, she loved her home, she enjoyed her school, where she wasn't noticed, and stuck to herself, but the way that Lydia described Forks High School, wasn't Bella's ideal idea of a school. When she stopped going to the small town every summer to stay with her dad, it was mostly because she hated being in that town, the reminder that her parents weren't together anymore, that her father still loved her mother and hadn't moved on, yet. Sure, she missed her cousin when she finally got her way and stopped staying there over the summer, but overall, she was happier in Arizona, where she was naturally happy. The only difference, was that the two cousins didn't get to see each other at all anymore, as Gerard couldn't afford the plane tickets to get to her and he never had time off of work (as a doctor), and it was hard for the first year, being separated from her best friend, but they grew up over time, and had drifted apart from the lack of communication and visits, they had eventually stopped talking after a few years of being apart.

Which is why Bella was so nervous to see her cousin again - she didn't know how they would interact, how Lydia would react to seeing the girl again, and wether or not she would even want to be friends with her anymore because of how she ignored her for so long.. The whole week leading up to the journey to Forks, Bella spent worrying not only about seeing her father again and moving in with him, but seeing her uncle and cousin yet again, two people whom she hadn't seen in years. Charlie may not have seen his daughter since the summer before when he flew up to her, but he could tell that the poor girl was worried about seeing her cousin and uncle again - his brother was the sweetest guy he knew, and his daughter was just like him, and he knew for a fact that they would both greet Bella and take her in like nothing had happened at all, like the girl didn't drift away from her fathers side of the family; he had nothing to worry about as to whether or not his brother and niece would be kind to his daughter and make her feel welcome, which is the only thing that Charlie could possibly wish for right now. He just wanted his daughter happy.