Human Settlement on Nividar Part 5

David has built a table and chairs for himself, Kyle, and Melody. He's working on beds now. They have finished building thier new home.

    Kyle comes home with a furry animal he killed with his bow and begins skinning it and preparing it for supper.

    Supper cooks while David finishes the bed he's working on. Melody has planted a garden outside using seeds and starter plants from the old garden. They are all hoping it will grow and yield a good crop. They brought along what produce they had from it when they moved.

    They all sit down to eat the delicious meal of meat, carrots, and berries. Everyone is very happy to hear that David has finished one bed.

    The humans go to bed a few hours later. David had begun work on a second bed.

    In the morning Kyle decides to steal some blankets so they will have enough for the beds. He will be wearing g his invisibility blanket the whole time he enters a Nividian town so the aliens won't know he's there. He does not reveal his plan to David or Melody, as they probably wouldn't let him go.

    They had eaten leftover meat and berries for breakfast. Kyle set out right away afterwards. The others assumed he had gone hunting.

    Kyle walks for a very long way until he comes upon a Nividian town. It is a different town from the one where the incident with David had occurred. 

    Kyle carefully puts on his invisibility blanket as he very quietly approaches the town. He is sickened by the sight of several pet humans led about on leashes. He's even more horrified to see that one of them has a small three year old child with them.

    "They're breeding us!" Kyle realizes in shock. He makes sure to keep quiet and not say anything out loud. He can't afford to give himself away. 

    Invisible Kyle hides behind an alien's house. He's getting hungry again by now. Kyle realizes that trying to open a door could give him away if he's not very sure that no one's home. He can't just help himself to a picnic either.

    Kyle falls asleep behind the house. He's quite tired from his long journey.

    Kyle wakes up later, hungry and having to go potty. Invisible Kyle crawls inside a giant flower stem and goes potty there, neatly burying it.

    Kyle then focuses on finding food. He also needs water.

    The invisible human finally finds a house where no one is home after searching for a while. But the door is locked when he tries it.

    Kyle continues searching for food. He sees a high outdoor table which is unguarded. (The Nividians are between eight and nine feet tall.) He wonders if there's any food on the table. He climbs on top of some outdoor equipment in the yard so he can see the top of the table. There is a sandwich and a glass of water on top of it! Kyle looks for a giant flower and breaks a stem off one. He goes over to the table with the stem and uses it to knock the plate with the sandwich down so he can reach it. He grabs the sandwich and plate quickly when it falls and dashes off with it. It tastes very good. He's very hungry. 

    In order to reach the glass of water, Kyle moves the yard equipment closer to the table so that he can climb on top of it. It's heavy, but he manages. From there he climbs onto the table and gets the glass of water. The table is about six feet high. Kyle's blanket fell off a few times, leaving him in danger of being seen.  

    Kyle drinks the water. Next he focuses on stealing some blankets. He also keeps the cup and plate.

    Kyle finds a pet human locked in a cage in one yard. He wants to free them so badly. Invisible Kyle tries hard to figure out how to open the cage door. He asks the pet human if they know how thier owner does it.

    The pet, named Peter, replies "I think it's fingerprint activated or something. How did you get free?"

    "Okay, I get it. It's DNA activated then. Thanks. Nevermind," Kyle says, finding some alien fur on the fuzz on the ground and using it to unlock the cage door. Nividar has fuzz growing on the ground instead of grass. It's thicker and tougher than grass.

    "Now look, I'm sure you've got a tracking device on you we need to remove. Do you know where your owner is?" Kyle asks. 

    "They're not home. I think they went to work. They put me in here when they're gone if the weather's nice. I have food and toys and everything in here," Peter says.

    Kyle notices there are also some blankets. Good! Now they will have enough for everyone! He can go straight home with Peter after this.

    Kyle gets the cage unlocked and Peter comes out. "Thank you so much! My name is Peter by the way. Do you have another one of those strange cloths?"

    "Yes, I do," Kyle says. "Hold still and be very quiet. This is going to hurt, but if I don't do this the aliens can track us," he says while quickly and as carefully as possible using his knife to remove Peter's tracking device.

    Kyle is successful. He hands Peter the other invisibility blanket and the two humans quickly grab the blankets and dishes and flee the alien town before Peter's owner gets home from work. 

    Kyle and Peter arrive back home by the other humans by nightfall.

    "Where have you been?! And who's this you found? We were so worried about you! Does he have a tracker in him?" David asks. 

    "I wanted to get some more blankets for us. This is Peter. Don't worry, I removed his tracker. I was invisible. I used some invisibility blankets I took from my old owner. The aliens didn't see a thing," Kyle says. 

    "They better not have! Peter, welcome to our home. I'm glad Kyle rescued you. Melody, please put the new blankets on the beds," David says. 

    "Okay," Melody agrees, placing the new blankets on the beds David built today. There are three beds now.

    "What's for supper?" Kyle asks, hungry. Peter is hungry too.

    "I caught us some fish. I'll get them cooking," Melody says.

    "Thank you," David tells her. "I'll help you."

    David and Melody prepare the fish and green beans, and then they all sit down to eat. Peter sits on one of the beds since there aren't enough chairs. 

    "Did you cover your tracks well? Are you sure you can't be traced here somehow?" David asks. 

    "I don't see how they'd find us. I covered our tracks well, and I was wearing the invisibility blanket the entire time. I was near thier town," Kyle says. 

    "How could you see? You must have made eye holes," David says. 

    "Yes, I did make eye holes," Kyle says. 

    The humans go to bed for the night after supper. 

    Peter's owner is very worried when they arrive home from work and find him missing. They know he had help. There is no way he could have opened the cage door on his own. They wonder if someone stole thier pet. Yet who would do such a thing? Thievery is absolutely unheard of on Nividar. These pets are highly prized and no one would ever dream of kidnapping one.

    Peter's owner contacts the authorities and Eckrel is informed of the happenings.

    Eckrel and Minodon come over right away and organize a search party to locate Peter. Quigor's busy and can't come.

    The aliens are not able to determine where Peter went. Eckrel has a suspicion though that this could be the work of Kyle. "Don't worry,  I think he's with an escaped pet human named Kyle. Kyle seems to be doing a good job surviving on his own," Eckrel tells Peter's owner. 

    The aliens also discover the missing sandwich, dishes, and blankets. They search the surrounding areas but can't find any of the escaped humans. Food and blankets are left out in safe traps for the humans. They will have enough to eat and be able to keep themselves warm.

    However, weeks go by and the pets are never found.

    Author's Note: Thank you for reading Human Settlement on Nividar! Please consider voting or commenting if you enjoyed the story.