99 Red Balloons

I wrote this for a song-inspired short story challenge from the forums. It's inspired by (the English version of) "99 Red Balloons" or "99 Luftballoons" by Nena.

Nova_Zura is going to compile the other stories from the challenge into an anthology book. When it's posted, check out the other stories. :)

This is... not my best work. It's cheesy. Also I was kind of inconsistent with the child-like misspellings, mostly because actually writing everything the way a little kid would, would a) take more work than I'm willing to put into this, and b) make it a pain in the butt to read. 

I don't really want criticism, 'cause I'm not really interested in fixing this, but y'all are welcome to give it if you want. :) 

4/8

99 balloons wasn't enough to lift our Flying Machine.

Next goal: to save up for the 120 pack.

Next birthday: 364 days

_

4/9

Maya says when we're older we'll be heavier too so we need to buy even more balloons unless we build a lighter Flying Machine.

Next goal: get cardboard box

_

4/10

We got more balloons at Target. And our naybors downstairs threw away a box and we took it. So we can try the machine tonight when Mom is at work.

_

4/11

We're grounded... our naybors told on us!!

Our mom said we aren't allowed to make a Flying Machine anymore. She said she's sorry we miss Joey, but we can write letters on balloons instead of trying to fly to him.

That's stupid!! I want to actually fly up there and meat him! I don't want to only write him letters!

We can just get another box, stupid mom.

_

5/15

Dear Dad,

Mom is making me write you this stupid letter and send it to you with a balloon because she won't let me make a flying machine anymore. Maya and me are making a flying machine to go see you in hevin, but the neighbors saw us testing it and they told mom that we almost fell into their patio but theyir stupid liars because it almost flew. Anyway Mom is stupid she took our machine away and she almost took away our heleum machine too but when we said we made the Flying Machine to visit you she said to use the balloon to send you letters instead.

Love Amy

_

4/21

I HATE MOM.

Yesterday I logged into Mom's iPad and saw she was googling boarding school for young girls.

she's going to send me away because I made a flying machine.

I don't want to go away. Unless Maya comes too and all my friends from school but that won't ever happen.

I hate mom.

_

4/21

Mom keeps saying the war is getting serious, and I hate that, because the war is already serious! It killed Joey! That's serious enough! She's just trying to scare us! I hate her!