The River's Edge: Part 1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   Our car rolled into town and came to a stop at our new apartment. I looked out the window at what I will soon be calling home. Me, my sister and my mother got out of our car and we got a better look at the apartment. As we stood beside each other my mother started taking off her gloves and said, "now embrace yourselves the apartment's small, a paid-a-terre but..." and then we all finished the sentence at the same time saying, "quality always." I let out a soft chuckle. My mom sighed and started walking towards the entrance of the apartment. "plus, it's the only piece of property in my name and not your fathers." She said before she walked into the building, leaving me and veronica. "this is a new chapter in our lives Ronnie," I said and looked at her, "are you ready? This isn't New York, things will be different." She nodded and smiled at me "at least I'll have my little sister with me to help me out." she said and took my hand and we followed our mother into the apartment. "hey, only by two minutes" and she finally laughed after a long time.

When we walked in, a man, maybe in his late 50s walked towards our mother with a sweet smile and seeing that made me smile. "Ms. Hermione!" he walked to our mother and my mother saw him and smiled. "Smithers! Oh, you're a sight for sore eyes." She went in for a hug and kissed his cheek gently. "how was the ride?" he asked her as he held her hands in his. "no traffic, thank god" she responded with a smile and then turned to us, "Smithers, id like to interduce you to my daughters, veronica and Isabelle." He then turned to us still smiling and held out his hand to shake our hands, "it's a pleasure miss" he said and as we shook his hand we replied with a small 'hi'. He then started walking past my mom and said, "I'll get your bags." "would you?" mother replied as he walked away. But before he left, he turned to us and said, "oh, would you like some menus, ma'am, so you could order in?"

"oh no, I've been craving one of pop Tate's cheeseburgers since noon," she said and, in that moment, she looked like a kid who could get anything she could have in a candy shop, "is his chock 'lit shop still open?" and veronica being, well veronica said, "what is a chock lit shop and why does it sell burgers?" I laughed and turned to my mother. "well I don't care; it sounds like a great place." I said and when I turned to veronica to see her glaring at me. And I gave her an innocent smile and Smithers and mom laughed at us.

After we ordered and Smithers told us he had to go pick it up I got an idea. "hey, is it okay if we go get it mom?" I said as I turned to her and took veronicas hand. She smiled and nodded, "it'll be great girls, I'll be waiting." I nodded excitedly and pulled veronicas arm and got into the car and gave the driver the address to the diner.

I looked out the window, watching the passing buildings and people talking and having a great time with their families and smiled. "are we going to talk about our unfinished business back in New York?" Ronnie said and looked at me and took my hands in hers. "I can't right now Ronnie." I sighed and looked down