Volume 2 - Chapter 4

I woke up to bright white lights shining in my eyes. There was cold hard steel pressed against my back. Indistinct shapes hovered over me. They were speaking some kind of strange language. No! One of them was touching me. I punched out my fist and decked them in the chin.

"No! Don't probe me!" I yelled.

"Ridiculous." one voice broke through the haze, my eyes finally clearing to see Andrew and Allan looking down at me. "Probing has been illegal ever since the anti-probing law of '72."

"Damn it, Jane." Rune stood up, rubbing his chin. "Why am I the one you always have to hit?"

"Huh? What's going on?" I asked.

"That's what I would like to know!" Andrew demanded, rubbing his head as he took in a deep breath. "What did you do, Allan?"

"And why do I feel..." I wobbled as I tried to get up off of the table-like apparatus I was lying on that was tilted in a near standing position. "So... out of it..."

As I finally got the chance to glance around the room, I could see that we were now standing in a white chamber. It was cylindrical in appearance with white walls on every side. The floor had six white spots with a smooth glass-like appearance and a vertical table along each side. It basically looked like the inside of an alien spaceship. I wondered if Allan did that on purpose to mess with me.

"It's transporter sickness. For normal humans, it's not abnormal to be woozy. Actually, you've recovered far faster than you should have. It usually takes up to fifteen minutes to regain your balance." Allan glanced at me and then turned to Andrew. "I teleported us onto my spacecraft, positioned in a geosynchronous orbit traveling at seven thousand miles per hour."

"Why?" Rune asked, breathing hard.

"Attempting to explain my actions to you was a waste of time. It was quicker to show you."

"A little warning would be nice next time," Rune snapped.

Allan straitened his glasses. "A little consideration on your side would be appreciated as well."

I was crouched against a wall, my head resting in my hands. Why did these things keep happening to me? Was my destiny completely out of my control? Was I fated to be dragged from random place to random place in the name of what, the future? I took a deep breath, suppressing all of my anger and self-absorbed whining. Getting depressed wouldn't get me out of this situation.

"What do you want, Allan?" I asked directly.

The three boys turned to me. Andrew and Rune seemed to have looks of surprise. What? Did they assume Allan had kidnapped us for the joy of it? Boys could be so stupid sometimes. Allan wanted something, I was certain of that.

Allan nodded, the hint of a smirk at the corner of his face. "I prefer directness too. That will make this considerably easier. Your planet is in grave danger. My race, the Prefects, don't typically take positions when it comes to this kind of thing. We are silent observers, fulfilling our missions for the good of the collective knowledge of our species. However, I've decided to at least inform relevant parties as to the threat."

"Relevant parties?" Rune frowned. "What's relevant to us?"

"An archangel, an archdemon, and Jane Averygail, a girl whom I've recently confirmed was involved in the incident sixty some years ago, concerning a time-traveling alien. If you haven't realized it, your unexpected participation in the great treaty that occurred on that date helped lead to the capture of that particular time-traveling alien. A necromancer detected time particles on you and, as a result, was able to track down the offender. He was a notorious evil criminal who was brought to justice by your actions. Your name and your accomplishments are well known across the three known galaxies."