Chapter 10

"...even though there is yet to be any arrests made, the feelings for Fubao Inc.'s fiasco from the people of Wulan is very clear. As you can see, there are a lot of emotions running through the streets currently. Hundreds of people marching through the streets of the northern area of Kaolon all the way to Fubao Inc.'s headquarters. Initially the police have shown restraint in the face of these protesters, but shortly after violence broke out at the front door of the company's headquarters--"

The feed then cut from the two reporters to a video clip of someone releasing their Yandi and destroying the tall walls at Fubao Inc. before the crowd surged in. Meiha focused her eyes back on the road as the blasts hit structures and flesh. People were trampled under the feet of fellow protesters and being struck by the unreined powers from the Bod Mods. She was too late to mute the screams and gasps from the reporter, however.

"Fubao has a lot to answer for," declared the first reporter. "This failed safety mechanism has already caused ten deaths and at least forty injuries and that's not including the riot outside Fubao's headquarters that started about an hour ago. The lawsuits will be severe -- that is, if they can even survive the damages to their reputations to face those litigations."

"I'm not sure they will," said the second. "Chai Wah CEO Mr. Wong Kwok Lan has already got plans for a major announcement later on tonight regarding this incident. We can only hope they have plans to solve Fubao's mess once and for all."

Meiha switched off the broadcast with a groan, unable to hear any more negative words. Tselong hadn't spoken to her since she'd gotten into Karman's car, but Karman reassured her he was safe and had retreated to code recovery attempts again -- "In case Chai Wah springs another Si Lei on us -- and, let's face it, we need a back-up plan, especially when we're using a prototype."

The hover car continued to hum along the road, coasting as far as the speed limit would allow. The highway stretched over three separate ones running below, which were mostly empty despite it being a workday afternoon. Meiha had half-expected the roads to be blown up, cars careering off paths, and buildings collapsing in smoke and rubble. Perhaps she'd watched too many apocalyptic movies.

She took a left off the highway and began her descent onto ground level. Holographic adverts on the surfaces of the skyscrapers flashed by as a kaleidoscope, each figure and object being advertised crystal clear out of the corners of her cybernetic eye. The neon-bright lights of buildings seemed more brilliant than ever in their many vibrant, distinctive shades. The headquarters of Chai Wah Inc. shaped like the tip of a stylus with a carved innard displaying crystalline lights, drew near. The Shennong helpfully labelled it as a significant landmark the moment its outline came into sight.

"Park a little way away," came Karman's voice out of the blue, making Meiha jump.

"Don't I get some warning before you guys connect to me?"

"You do. But Tselong's set the default for all Fubao HQ connections for automatic permission. You can fiddle with this later, when you're more used to the funks. Park a little way away."

"Why?"

"Look ahead. I can see exactly what you're seeing."

Meiha zoomed in with the Qinshi eyepiece. Another crowd.

"You won't be able to get a car through that."

"What are they doing there?"

"Didn't you hear the news?" A sneer came into Karman's voice. "Wong Kwok Lan is here to save us all from the travesty that is the Bod Mod screw up thanks to that bat po. Everyone who's not busy blasting each other is here to listen to his grand talk about how he'll save the day."