Chapter 11

Narrow beams of soft orange and white light ran up the walls, illuminating her path. Meiha brought up the public map of Chai Wah Inc. as she climbed the stairs two steps at a time. The first few floors comprised conference and functions rooms. The Shennong laid them all out in her mind's eye, showing her the various entrances on the floorplans. So many chambers. Meiha would have a tough time checking them all without being caught.

"My money would be the emperor's functions room. For the announcement."

"That's a fancy name for a conference room."

"It's a super fancy room. Gilded furniture and chandeliers and liquid crystal decorations. Because Wong Kwok Lan is a pretentious dick." Karman's disgust radiated over the communications device.

Meiha pinpointed the emperor's functions room on the map. Fifth floor. She darted up the steps, licking her lips. Tinted windows overlooked the crowds outside. The numbers seemed to have at least tripled since she'd snuck into the event. Drones circled outside, keeping a keen eye on everyone. Meiha stepped back as the lens of one flashed at her and hurried onwards.

Her ascension to the fifth floor proved uneventful. The fire door opened to a corridor with walls made of black marble. Neon blue light seeped from the bottom, which, combined with the mossy scent in the air, gave the ambience a chilly touch. Quiet piano music played from overhead. The floor was so sleek and clean it was almost clinical; Meiha could see her own reflection wiht every step. Small specks of white light peeped from above. She passed glass doors that showed nothing but darkness beyond.

She paused at the sound of human voices. Her path joined a T-junction just ahead. She pressed her back to the wall, tuning her ears to the direction of the conversation. There were at least three people. She held her breath. They sauntered on, oblivious to her presence. With a sigh of relief, she jogged on, following the voices. She could hide out in the functions room until she spotted Si Lei. With that many reporters invited, it would be easy for her to stay invisible.

Without warning, pain exploded in her back, scorching across her loins like acid.

With a scream, Meiha was propelled forward. She slammed onto the ground, the impact making her ribs rattle and her teeth chatter. She lay on the hard floor, the cold seeping through her fingers, stunned. The nose-curling scent of burnt flesh reached her nostrils.

[Burn injury detected over nine per cent of body area. Deploying antiseptic and analgesic.]

Meiha turned on her back, whimpering. Tears poured down her face -- or would have if she had any tear ducts. Her arms shook with shock. The initial searing sensation on her lower back was replaced with a dull throbbing. Her heart rate began to normalise.

Her attacker stood about ten metres away, her Yandi pointed straight at Meiha. With a smirk, she lowered it and blew the tendrils of smoke from the top of the cannon.

[Engaging in cellular replication]

"Hm, not much damage. I was hoping I'd see your spine -- to see if you actually have one," said Lai Waisan, her odd-coloured eyes glittering with malice. She tilted her head, her silky black hair in an elegant up-do with curly strands reaching her shoulders. She wore a form-hugging strapless dress that graduated from dark purple to lilac to ivory white at the hem, which brushed the ground. A layer of thin material draping over the top allowed a beautiful shimmer of light with every movement. Her Yandi arm glittered with delicate jewellery. Long dangling earrings gleamed on either side of her neck. "That's some nerve, pretending to be Mak Shuling. As if one of the biggest fashion personalities would look as scruffy as you or wear that nameless monstrosity. I could see your disgusting outfit from miles away."