chapter O5 :: the boys

5:17 PM, June 25th.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Within an hour or so, the house was ready for nine. Jeongin helped Hyunjin set up just about everything, save a phone call to order 'pizza'. The house was cleaned (although Hyunjin was sure that wouldn't last when the boys got here), there was an abundance of blankets in the living room, and Hyunjin connected some wires and boxes to the large TV.

Jeongin had sat himself on the couch beside Hyunjin as they waited. They were currently watching a video about ordering food in sign language, when the red head could hear the volume of several approaching boys.

"I think they're here." Jeongin notified the boy beside him, who brought his focus away from the video, and shifting it to the front door. He too could hear the sound of boys coming this way, and a moment later there was knocking at the door. Hyunjin lifted himself from the couch and walked to the door. Jeongin followed a few steps behind, after making sure Hyunjin knew this so that he didn't accidentally startle him. Hyunjin opened the door, and seven boys stood outside, chatting to each other. Chan and Woojin stood at the front of the cluster, being the only two quiet ones of the bunch. The two of them waited for the other five to quiet down for a moment. When that didn't happen, Woojin gave a light smack onto the leg of whoever was behind him. After that the five younger boys turned their gaze to the front door, and beamed at Hyunjin and Jeongin, who was only partially visible behind the coverage of Hyunjin's shoulder.

"Hi Jeongin!" Jisung waved to the red head, who shyly returned one. Jeongin tapped Hyunjin's shoulder.

"How does he know my name?" Jeongin signed, causing the other boys to look between him and Hyunjin. While most of them were impressed or surprised, Chan seemed to have starry eyes of astonishment.

"I told them about you. They like you too." Hyunjin replied, and Jeongin smiled so wide his dimples peeked through his cheeks. Chan, too, beamed at the small wordless conversation. He had absolutely no idea what they were saying, but seeing them communicate in a way that he's never seen them do made him feel some sort of pride in his younger friend.

"Woah, you know sign language?" Felix asked, pointing between the two of them.

"Well, we're learning." Hyunjin said, and Jeongin came a bit closer to the group in front of them, no longer feeling as if he was intruding the close friends. He watched as they talked amongst themselves. His legs started getting a bit tired, so he let Hyunjin know. After all, it was him that specifically said, "If you're ever uncomfortable, let me know, okay?"

Hyunjin welcomed the boys inside, and tried to steer them away from the aromatic warm pizzas in the kitchen. This failed, however, and by a landslide vote, they all collectively decided to eat the pizza before taking part in any other activities. Jeongin sat by Hyunjin's side and silently ate, listening and observing the boys. His intention wasn't to seem creepy; he just thought that being attentive would make up for his lack of ability to respond.

Jeongin watched Jisung, the seemingly energetic boy, say nearly nothing as he stuffed his cheeks in a squirrel-like fashion. The bright eyed boy looked at Jeongin. The red head let out a breathy half laugh. That's happened every time he'd found something amusing since he started walking on land; his laughs were similar to an amused exhale. It must be part of losing my voice to Mizu, He thought. One time, Hyunjin thought he was scoffing at him, but Jeongin was quick to explain that he was not annoyed, he was simply laughing as best as he could manage.

The sound attracted the attention of all of the boys, who had yet to hear anything come from his mouth.

"Did someone say something wrong, that you found amusing, or...?" A confused Changbin piped up from across the large dinner table, with an annoyed look in his eyes. He'd though the Jeongin was mocking one of them. Jeongin shook his head furiously, with an apologetic expression. Before Jeongin could even sign to Hyunjin and ask him to explain, the older boy had taken care of it.