(2) Vectors, Among Other Things

Chemistry wasn't the only class me and Sean had together, there was a college level trigonometry class that we tried to pass throughout sophomore year. It was much more difficult than our Pre-AP Chem class.

Around the start of fourth quarter, the class learned about vectors; lines that show both speed and direction. After a week learning about vectors, the class had to seperate to do group projects on them. Sean and I quickly jumped at the opportunity to work with each other mainly to avoid people in the class that we didn't know.

Our third group member was a mutual friend by the name of Ryder. I'd known him since freshman year. He was a short puerto rican boy with black hair and glasses. He had gorgeous sun-kissed skin with traces of eczema. He was one of the smartest kids in class and a fun person to be around in general.

We had to work together out of class to finish the project, which was to use vectors to make an up to scale map of somewhere in our school. Originally, the plan was for Sean and Ryder to do the math on the vectors and have me draw the map, but we quickly learned that Sean wasn't good at the math, and I was pretty much the worst at maps. To lessen the amount of strain put on our group, Sean and I swapped positions.

While the math was being figured out, there really wasn't much for the map maker to do, so I let Sean play on my phone; something we had done many times before in chemistry. However, I soon realized that my phone had many text conversations with my friends from when I was trying to figure out if I had a crush on Sean. That could be a nightmare the next day if he found evidence of me having a crush on him.

As me and Ryder were finishing one of the vectors, I heard a short chuckle from Sean. Feeling utter horror, I gulped and looked over at the blonde figure. The smile as he looked down at my phone was nerve wrenching.

Initiating my poker face, I asked, "What's so funny?"

He responded, "A person on snapchat sent you this," he lent closer to me and tried to show me, "Uuuuhhh... how do you make it come back?" Entirely relieved that he hadn't seen one of the conversations, I explained that once you open something on snapchat, you can't look at it again. Still, there was more time for a potential slip of the information.

*Fanfic Begins*

We were on our last vector for the day when I heard a quiet gasp from Sean. I look over expecting it to be another Snapchat thing then see him looking at one of my texting conversations. Luckily, it doesn't seem like he sensed any movement from me. I put in my best effort to casually turn my head back to my work, trying to avoid any indication that I just saw him looking at my secret. Out of the side of my eye, I could see him scrolling more intently. The same phrase was running through my mind till we were done that day; BE CALM, YOU CAN'T SHOW THAT YOU KNOW WHAT HE'S LOOKING AT!

Somehow holding my composure, I was able to ask him, "What was it this time?"

Noticing he had been caught, he bolted up straight as an arrow and stuttered, "N-n-nothing! I~ I just died on the motorcycle game again. I-I got... offended?" Aside from his nervous body language and speech, Sean was also red as a beet. Clearly he was lying.

"Oh, I hope you got through the level. Are you almost ready to go?" If he really did see what I thought he did, I was going to be graceful on the uptake.

Sean somewhat relaxed to start packing up and replied, almost unsure, "Yeah, I'll be ready in a minute or two." That was enough to put me at ease for the time being. I talked to Ryder about my latest anime theory while Sean finished packing up. Once he was ready, all three of us started walking to the front door of the school. Ryder was able to help ease the awkwardness that radiated from myself and Sean. We spent most of the walk discussing the practicality of vectors in our motorcycle game.