(3)The Antisocial Exit

The last day of sophomore year, Sean and I left our chemistry classroom together when the bell rang, signalling the start of summer. As he was walking towards the front, I decided it was time to show him my favorite way to leave the school.

I motioned for him to follow me out the side door saying, "We should go this way. It's way calmer than whatever this is." I opened my palm in the direction of the hordes of students leaving for summer break. "I like to call this the antisocial exit."

The antisocial exit was a door on the side of the school with a gravel path that led to the front parking lot. Although it wasn't all that secluded, it had a barrier of windows to block surrounding noise-I always preferred the silence to the omnipresent banter of high school students-and a few beautiful oak trees that were perfect green for our approaching summer. It made no sense to me at all that someone would choose to leave through the front entrance rather than enjoy the peaceful walk that the side door would guide them to; but now wasn't the time to wander off into my mind... it was just Sean and I on that quiet gravel trail.

I listened to his soft voice, "Wow, this is actually really nice. How did you even find out about this anyway?"

It didn't take much for me to respond, "Well, there are windows along this entire school. I just like the quiet that comes from being on the other side of the glass."

He contemplated my response and just left me with, "Okay, that's fair." then fell silent.

With the lul that had started in our conversation, I had the smallest window to say something that needed to be said. I had been debating for the past few weeks whether or not I should tell Sean that I had a crush on him. Still, I was unsure of what I would say and if I truly had enough confidence for this. My mind racked all the things that could possibly go wrong, and as always went to the worst possible outcome.

*Fanfic begins*

"... Hey Sean?" I follow my urge to look up at him and wait for a response.

"Yeah, Sydney, what's up?" he seemed concerned. That wasn't good; I made a mental note to try to be less awkward. Yeah, like that was going to happen.

"Well, I didn't bring you out here just because it's quiet; well, that was a reason, but only for a different thing. I don't really know how to tell you this-oh who am I kidding, this is the most lame confession ever- I wanted to tell you that I... I..." How could I just tell someone so simply. My words just stopped and there wasn't a clear way to get my train of thought back quick enough to finish that sentence.

Luckily, Sean did some of the work for me, "Hey Sydney, did I hear the word, 'confession'?" he made air quotes with his hands, "Because if I did, there's been something I've been meaning to confess to you specifically; heck, I even asked Ryder for some help on how to do it." At least I would have some time to recalibrate.

"Umm, yeah. What did you want to confess on, Sean?" please let this be long.

"So... I've been wanting to tell you for a while. I, well... I like you Sydney, as more than a friend." Wait, what was happening? That didn't seem right. How did he like me?

Slowing my pace and coming to a halt, I turned to face him, breaking our side by side formation. He faced me as well and his gaze met mine, partially questioning with a slight hint of... was that fear?

"So... what do you think... I guess I mean how do you feel towards me?" I was completely taken aback by his confession that I had yet to say a word of response. A quick one-over of the boy showed that his thumbs were twirling around each other, his entire body succumbing to a small sway, and a blush that reached all the way to his ears. It looked as if he was just as desperate to tell the truth as I was.

"Yes." I see his face spark in confusion before I realize my error. Once I do, I make the correction, "Oh my goodness, I'm too awkward for anything good to come out of me. Well, now that you said it, it's a bit easier to say myself. I like you too, Sean." He stops twirling his thumbs but his blush increases tenfold. Unable to stop myself, my right hand reaches towards his cheek. "Have I ever told you it's really cute when you blush?"

He reaches up his left hand to cup my fingers, ever so gentle. "I don't think you have, but I will admit that it's nice to feel your touch. Even in this heat and how hot I'm sure my face is right now, your warmth is something I'll always welcome." His pause last a few seconds putting us into a comfortable silence before he speaks again, "Sydney," he looked down at my lips then back to my eyes. "Is it okay if we kiss?"

It doesn't take any other words. I reached onto my tip toes trying my best to reach his lips. Just when I thought I would succeed, he leaned over trying to meet me... and my lips just so happened to land on his nose. A cute chuckle escaped his lips before he commented with a smirk, "That wasn't quite how I expected my first kiss to go." No longer was I a girl with a pale complexion, I'm sure my entire face went red. But even then I couldn't help but smile, and then let out a small laugh of my own; of course he joined me.

After we both died down our laughter a bit, I found myself asking, "Do you think we can maybe try that one more time?"

Without missing a beat, he took my face into his hands and brought his lips closer, closer, ever closer to mine. Just a centimeter away he said, "Are you ready?"

I quickly hummed in agreement, but my lips had to close for that acknowledgement. His lips still hauntingly close, he gave me just one command, "Open up your mouth just a little."

As soon as I did, his mouth was on mine, giving just the right amount of suction to my lower lip to drive me insane. Sean's left hand went from my face to my lower back, pulling me closer; the kiss intensified. I had to do my part at some point, and therefore took both my arms and wrapped them around his neck. The kiss lasted for forever, and yet no time at all, until I heard a cat-call type of whistle from someone nearby.

Pulling back with immense heat on both mine and Sean's face, we both traced the sound. I completely forgot that we were right in front of the school until I saw Ryder's face smiling over at us with a thumbs up from about ten yards away. Looking back to Sean, I saw him return the gesture, one hand still on my back.

"I'm glad you two finally got together," He yelled, bringing down his thumb "But next time could you find a room?" Heat, heat, heat. I was going to have to get used to being warmer than molten lava.