Chapter 4

It's been a couple of weeks since the incident between me and Na-chan. Everyone has been gossiping about what happened. Some say that we're fighting because I got tired of having her around, others say that a boy got between us and how spot on can they be. At first Na-chan wouldn't stop texting me; now she doesn't even look at me. I saw Chris again and told him what happened, some things were changed for obvious reasons, and he thinks that we just need some time apart. If time is all we need then why hasn't she said sorry to me? As far as I can tell, she looks happier being without me. She's got new friends and even a bit of a following now that I'm not around. What are these new people giving her that I didn't? What do they have that I don't? Was I really that bad of a friend? Of course not! I gave her everything that she could ever want, friends, boys, a higher spot in the social food chain! I groan in frustration and slam my book close. Chris looks over at me, "Thinking about her again?" I sit up and lean against the tree trunk. "Yeah. I can't stop thinking about her, it's so weird. This is our first time fighting and it seems like the worst thing ever. I just can't deal, you know." Chris puts his arm on my shoulder and hugged me lightly, "I know things seem bad right now but it'll get better. You could always take the first step for her and apologize." I rolled my eyes and scoffed, "You and I both know that won't be happening anytime soon." He put his hands up in defense, "It's just a suggestion." I closed my eyes and leaned against him, "I don't know how I got by before you came along, Chris." "Heh, I could say the same thing." "Chris, can I tell you something?" I looked up at him. "What is--. Don't look now but Na-chan is coming this way." "What?" I looked up and saw Na-chan running on the path of the park's walk way. Chris stood up and told me that he'd get rid of her and jogged up to her. I sat down and fought with myself before getting up and walking to them.

"Chris, are you ready to go?" I asked as I ran over to him. Na-chan glanced at me and then back at Chris, "I didn't know that you two were here together. Where's Hitomi?" Kanagi smirked at me but Chris didn't notice. "Hitomi had to buy a new kimono for the lunar festival so she's at the mall with some friends right now." The tension was getting to me and I was ready to pull Chris away and leave but he told Kanagi and I that he was going to pack our things so that he and I could leave before jogging away, leaving me and Kanagi alone. "So you're just gonna push my buttons at this point? And here I was trying to be the bigger person and apologize." She scoffed, "You and I both know that you weren't going to apologize and even if you did it was going to be insincere." I laughed inaudible, "I actually was sorry this time but it looks like your new friends got to you." I turned away from her, "Have a nice life bitch." I walked over to Chris and told him that I was ready to go.

"How'd things go between you and Na-chan?" "She became a real bitch since she started to hang out with those new kids." Chris chuckled, "I guess what they say is true, somethings are meant to be broken." He slung his arm around me and I held onto his hand as we walked, laughing the entire time.