How to Calm Anxiety / Panic Attacks

1. Acknowledge your surroundings
Often times our attacks cause us to lose our bearings, so we have to regain an understanding of our surroundings. First, try to name (5) things you can see. Now, (4) things you can touch be sure to actually touch them. (3) things you can hear. (2) things you can smell. (1) thing you can taste.
This is something I found the most helpful, I keep walnuts or dove chocolate on my desk for my panic attacks so i always have something to taste. I also have a hand sanitizer or lotion or perfume nearby just in case.

2. Breathe
First, just focus on your breathing.. acknowledge the fact that it may be abnormal at the moment due to the attack. When you're ready, breathe in for 4 seconds, out for 4 seconds. Over and over, forcing yourself to count to 4 each time. This will not only regulate your breathing, but it distracts your brain and calms the attack.
The second I start having an attack, I open my window to bring in fresh air. Then I do the above breathing exercises.

3. Drink water
Sip some water or even tea slowly. Taking tiny sips at a time and feeling the liquids moisten your tongue. Be sure to have your feet planted on the floor as you drink. Try to feel the ground against your feet, and imagine yourself pushing all of your stress and worries into the earth.
I usually prep myself with water or tea when I feel an attack approaching, but I'm not always fortunate enough to feel it ahead of time.

4. Write it down
Sometimes you begin to have racing thoughts during an attack. Grab a paper and dump them on there. Write in bullet points and when you're done, fold it up and put it away. Tell yourself that you'll get back to those thoughts later.
I personally, write potential chapters for this book when I am coming down from panic attacks, not all of them are good, but its how I acknowledge my attacks and make the best of them.

5. Affirmations
If the above techniques don't work, its common for this to add-on to the attack. Thus, you should combat any possible negative thoughts that may begin swirl with affirmations: "You're doing your best." "You've managed this before" "You are taking the appropriate steps to feel better" "This won't last forever" "You'll calm down eventually" "You're okay." Or whatever works for you.
I personally am not stable enough to do affirmations, but maybe you are!

-
-

Hey loves, panic attacks and anxiety attacks can be really scary, this I know from personal experience. I'll write a chapter about them, but I just wanted to give some helpful grounding techniques for dealing with them. If you have ideas or tactics that work for you, please leave them in the comments!

Also, let me know if you like this additive of coping techniques to this book. And comment chapter suggestions, most of the chapters I write just come naturally from how I'm feeling.. others are semi-confessionals.

Do you guys want the option to add your personal experiences to the story?
- basically, you'd email me your experience and I'll add it as a chapter anonymously.
- also, as an advice column or something?
Let me know!