Chapter III

We had begun to dock for repairs, and I was once again preparing myself to travel in public. This meant my deep red robes, as well as a cloth wrapping to conceal my 'undesirable' Earth Kingdom traits. Underneath the flowing robes of red and gold, there was my constant element – a somewhat thin layer of sand that swarmed most of my body beneath the clothing. Keeping all of it clinging to my body and out of sight was second nature to me, thanks to Akasuna – or, as I had begun calling him, Agari. Zuko, Iroh and I soon began to depart when the ship had docked, although I had a feeling that the girl we had kept aboard(Ruka, her name was) would end up following out of curiosity.

Sure enough, as Zuko was voicing his desire to repair the ship and get out as soon as possible, Ruka came stumbling up from behind and asked us what was going on, prompting Iroh to repeat what was going on. I wasn't sure why we had agreed to bring the girl with us, but for some reason, Agari was very interested in her...

I decided to pay no mind to my spiritual passenger nor the Water Tribe girl, as we continued on our way.

"If we stay too long, we risk losing his trail," Zuko stated. I found myself nodding in agreement.

Ruka decided to chime in. "You mean Aang?" 

I looked over at her, my eyes meeting hers. "I don't suppose you would happen to know where he's going?" She simply shook her head and said she was as lost as we were, prompting Zuko to grumble in disappointment.

Iroh, ever optimistic, tried to lift his nephew's spirits. "I'm certain that we will find the Avatar-"

"Don't so much as whisper his name while we're here, Uncle," the prince snapped aggressively. "As soon as the news that he's alive gets around, every fire bender will be going after him. I don't want anyone getting in my way."

"Getting in the way of what, Prince Zuko?" A voice asked, and we all turned to see its owner. I caught a glimpse of a man with brown hair and mutton chops, his face stern. All of us - save for the Water Tribe girl - knew who this man was, even though I had never personally met him before.

"Captain Zhao," Zuko said, crossing his arms and assuming a more noble stance. I simply clasped my hands together and held them lowly in front of my robes.

Zhao looked at us with a firm gaze. "It's Commander, now," he said, correcting the prince before turning to Iroh. "And General Iroh, great hero of our proud nation."

"Retired General," Iroh himself corrected, although much more politely and with more gentleness, bowing as well. It was then that Zhao turned to me, his expression hardening as he looked me over.

"Who might this be? I don't think we've been introduced."

"I am Sabaku," I intoned, "I was taken pity on by Prince Zuko in one of the...poorer colonies in the Earth Kingdom. I have served him faithfully ever since, in whatever way my talents allow me to." I bowed respectfully, making sure to subtly exaggerate it. Zhao continued on to observe the Water Tribe girl, who we stated was a prisoner(she was, after all), and he then continued to address Zuko.

"The Fire Lord's son and brother are welcome guests at any time. What brings you to my harbor?"

"Our ship is in need of repairs," Iroh supplied, gesturing towards the aforementioned vessel. In all honesty, it was a sorry sight to behold.

"That is...quite a bit of damage, indeed."

I turned to glance at the girl, whose eyes looked fit to burst from how wide they were. I smirked widely behind my head wrappings, amused at how she was realizing her predicament. Meanwhile, Zuko and Iroh had finished trying to describe a story for how the ship had gotten the way it was now.