5 ─ BOLD AND BRAVE.

BOLD AND BRAVE.
A R R O W
━ CHAPTER 5. ━

  CUPID AND AVENA TURNED as the sound of the door opening was heard, the action simultaneous, as if the pair were an extension of one another.

Which, in a sense, they kind of were. They pulled apart their fingers, watching with mild amusement as the Weasley family trodded on out, followed closely by the trio of Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

  Harry looked up, green eyes catching Cupid's across the short distance between them. She smiled tentatively and he mirrored the action, just as hesitant. They hadn't talked much since the year prior, with few letters being exchanged─ and even then, their replies always seemed to come later than normal.

  Cupid felt her heart ache. She knew the reason behind it, she just didn't like to dwell on it was all. But, how could she not when it had hurt the friendship between her and Harry? One of her closest friends?

The brunette glanced over at Avena, and the Slytherin girl smiled with understanding.

  "Go on," she urged, nodding her head at the Potter boy as he and the group approached. Cupid pursed her lip with determination, joining Harry as he passed. His immediate reaction was to tense, but Cupid knew it was unintentional.

Or, rather, she hoped it was.

  "How has your summer been?" The McLean girl questioned, lacing her hands behind her back as the pair fell behind the rest of the group.

Up ahead, Avena joined Hermione and Ginny. Harry kept his eyes trained on them, and so did Cupid. Her heart gave another writhe in her chest. She did not like this.

She did not like it at all.

  The brunette caught Harry's shrug from the corner of her eye. "Same as every summer." There was a pause then as he finally glanced at her with a grimace on his expression. "Are we really doing this?"

  Cupid knew what he was talking about, even without him having to explain; they were skirting around the intentions behind her approach. Prolonging an inevitable conversation.

Cupid sighed, "No, we aren't."

  For another long moment, there was silence. Cupid kept trying to form the words in her mind, but faltered every time─ until finally, she caved in and everything came tumbling out.

"I'm sorry, I should have listened to you." The brunette felt her eyes fall as her mind was filled with the memory of countless arguments between her and the Potter boy.

  He'd warned her; told her she was chasing a lost cause. Draco wasn't going to be swayed or have a sudden change of heart, he was born into his ignorance. But, she'd realized it far too late to stop.