☆゚. * ・ 。゚entry: checkmate

CheckmateHimari "Mari" Watanabe didn't expect to die at the tender age of seventeen

Checkmate
Himari "Mari" Watanabe didn't expect to die at the tender age of seventeen. Nobody did.

She thought it was any other mundane day. The sunny day and spotless clouds belied the malicious storm that followed suit.

She drove down the street. She had devoted her full attention to the road up to that point in time.

And then she glanced at the illuminated screen that had laid beside her for just a second.

That split moment in time was enough for another car to come barreling down the road at full speed.

Then it all happened. Slowly, yet surely. She felt the impact of the car ram into the side of her own, shattering the glass windows and leaving dents in the crude metal.

The warm blood trickled from the deep lacerations engraved in her head, and then down the side of her skull, leaving a trail of sticky crimson.

She felt her vitality leeching away, rapidly dripping down the drain. And before she knew it, she was gone.

Himari Watanabe was dead.

Or, at least she thought she was.

Then, she was falling from the sky. She didn't register it at first, but she saw the silhouettes of chess pieces and celestial planets. The bright blue canvas with dotted white.

She saw the ground. The very ground she was plummeting towards.

But instead of hearing that 'SPLAT' that was all too familiar in the cartoons, her face was only three centimeters away from the ground. And she fell that three centimeters, hitting the ground with a soft 'thud' instead.

And all of a sudden- against all odds- Himari "Mari" Watanabe was in a world decided by a series of gambles. A life where anything could be decided by a simple game of chess.

Himari Watanabe was now a mere pawn in a complex war of kings and queens.