Hold My Hand

"If you hold my hand, you promise to never let me go."

Alice's eyes shoot open. The young woman clutches her shirt, breathing heavily. Tears stream down her face when she remembers what happened. She sits up and grasps her head. It seems like it won't leave her alone.

The bright smile she saw that day.

It was a hot summer day. Alice met her again by chance. It was at the same seashore where they saw each for the first time.

Days before, Alice sat comfortably on the seashore. The waves of the sea softly touched her feet every time it came. She was staring at the distance, seemingly caught in a trance.

Then suddenly, a strong gust of wind blew, causing her pink hat to fly off.

Alice stood up to search for her hat. What she didn't expect to find was a girl standing in front of her, face hidden by that hat.

oh ang tadhana'y mapagbiro

The girl holding Alice's hat put her arm down and Alice was welcomed by a warm smile and enchanting eyes.

"Is this yours?" the girl asked.

tayo ay pinagtagpo

Alice could only manage a weak nod before the girl handed back her hat.

"Thanks," Alice softly said. All these years she thought she was confident, why was she being so shy in front of this stranger?

After that encounter, Alice somehow crossed paths with her again. And again. And again and again and again, until it almost became a daily habit. They didn't really agree to see each other at certain times and places, but somehow, they just met.

After overcoming the shy stage, Alice managed to talk to this stranger a lot. It was fun to be with her, she thought. Alice found her humor amusing. She was comfortable with her. She found it easy to share her thoughts with her. With her, Alice could just be herself - no secrets, no pretenses. Just real Alice. There were no commitments, no judgements, no one else. They were just in their own worlds.

Every day that passed, Alice felt like they're getting closer and closer to each other.

That day came - that fateful day. That time, they met where it all began. On that seashore, Alice lay on the sand, arms spread out. She had her eyes closed and a smile on her face. The brightness of the sun still seeped through her eyes.

Suddenly, complete darkness overtook her sight. She opened her eyes and saw a fan in front of her face, blocking the sunlight.

Then she saw the same girl with the same warm smile and enchanting eyes. It was her.

Alice beamed when she realized who was her company. "We meet again," she grinned.

"What are you doing here?" the girl asked as she helped Alice sit up.

"Getting energy from the sun," Alice answered, "and good vibes too."

"Really?" the girl looked at her in disbelief.

"Yup," Alice stood up and offered her hand, "let's go?"

"Where?" the girl questioned, although she let herself be pulled up.

"To the waters!" Alice said as she dragged her to the sea.

"What about 'getting good vibes from the sun'?" the girl asked again.

"Hmm," Alice hummed, as if thinking, "I already got you for good vibes!" And Alice just gave the grinnest of all grins. 'Twas cute.

And down to the sea they went. Alice splashed and threw water to the girl. They shared a lot of laughter. They jumped and played and swam. They... enjoyed those moments.