My Demons

Two days later, I literally carried Shaylee away from Ron, who hadn't woken up yet. I had had to put him on an IV and had to do a few other things to keep him alive and healthy through his coma. Shay hadn't left the infirmary but to use the bathroom. She needed to shower and sleep in her own bed, but she refused. She had to meet with one of the senators about the captive she had taken from Grotto, but she still refused to leave Ron's side.

I had dressed in my black jeans, white shirt, and bowtie when I entered the infirmary to check on Ron, Shaylee still curled up against his side.

"Shay, come on, you need to get ready. You have an hour." I reminded her, walking over. She shook her head, looking up at Ron's face. She gently traced his stumble shadowed jawline, her long lashes shading her soft brown eyes. She hadn't showered in days, but she was still gorgeous. "Shay, come on. This is your last warning." She continued to ignore me, gently rubbing her thumb against her best friend's cheek.

I sighed, walking over and picking her up gently. She didn't fight me, just curled up against my chest. I could tell she was exhausted, having barely slept since Ron was taken. I sighed, taking her into her room. I laid her down on her bed.

"Do you want to get your clothes, me, or Brock?" I asked, standing over her high bed. She shook her head.

"Just you do it," she mumbled, closing her eyes. I found her typical black outfit and her black jacket. I then found her underclothes and put them together. I walked to her bathroom and placed them on the toilet seat. I walked back in and sat down next to her on the bed.

"Shay, you have to shower." I gently rubbed her arm, trying to get her up. She sighed, pushing herself up. She leaned her head against my shoulder.

"I don't want to move," she sighed, her eyes still closed. I put my arm around her shoulders, holding her close.

"You have to, Cap," I chuckled, rubbing her arm. "Come on, let's go." She sighed heavily, pushing herself off of her bed. She walked out of the room, going to shower.

I decided to go back to monitoring Ron, checking that he was still stable and alive. I had an idea of why Ron hadn't woken up, but I wasn't positive. It most likely had a lot to do with the pod he was in. I wished I could get my hands on one so I could test my theory. He most likely had had too much of whatever was keeping him asleep, so he continued to sleep.

I was brought out of my thoughts by the sound of heels clicking against the ground. I looked behind me to see Shay dressed in a nicer, blazer version of her black flier jacket, black heels, and a shorter skirt, coming down to her mid-thigh. She had on a little bit of makeup, black eyeshadow, eyeliner, and mascara making her blue eyes pop. Her hair was pinned back, keeping the curled hair out of her face, but a few persistent pieces slipped out of their confines and fell framing her face. She was gorgeous.

She didn't give me as much of a glance as she walked back over, sitting on the end of Ron's bed.

"Come on, asshat. Get up." I heard her whisper to him, taking his hand. She sighed, looking back at me. "Seriously, Bates. Do you really need to keep staring at me? Look, I wear skirts when I have to be professional. Hell, I even have a few dresses I wear sometimes." She was tired, so I excused the behavior she had previously mostly dropped with me.

"Not that. It's just concerning that Ron hasn't woken up yet. You were out for a couple of hours, though. But I think it was because they didn't change the amount of anesthesia needed to keep you out and your body couldn't handle the dosage." I explained, getting up and walking over.

"Oh. Sorry. I just assumed..." she trailed off, sighing. "I haven't had the best experiences when it came to men seeing me in a skirt for the first time." I sat down on the bed beside Ron's.