Bye Bye

Jerome held tight onto Clarissa's hand, staring intently into her eyes as she spoke. This was what he hoped for, to hear everything, and the reasons why he couldn't break through. Clarissa looked furious, her eyes wide as she glared down at the two people bound and gagged in front her. Her parents. Clarissa was talking quietly, her eyes bright and glistening with tears.

''You left me as a child because of what you thought I was. I was a disappointment to you, wasn't I? Even when I tried to hard to please you? Seven years of hardship,'' she said, turning to look down at the terrified couple in front of them. The man's hair was the same colour as Clarissa's, and the woman shared a whole list of features. Mrs Halliwell shook her head, looking up at her daughter with fear in her eyes.

''Our family never had anyone like you. So, strange....so difficult. We were afraid.''

''So you beat me? Made me feel like I was nothing!'' Clarissa's tone became angry in a moment, and she let go of Jerome's hand to stand right in front of her mother's face.

''Your father beat you, Clarissa! I only wanted to help you, but I had no idea how!''

Mr Halliwell glared up at Clarissa, and spat the words at her.

''Trying to take care of you was impossible. You made us so empty. You suck the emotions from other people, and you're doing it to Jerome. He may be a maniac, but you're no better.''

Jerome chuckled darkly. It didn't feel like it he was getting his emotions sucked out. Far from it. She'd tried so hard to save him.  She'd constantly tried everything to stop him from doing anything that hurt others. She'd volunteer to kill, to hurt, everyone and anyone, except Jeremiah. Well, the saving hadn't worked well, and Jerome had preferred to keep Clarissa safe rather than have her become a criminal like him. He'd tried a few things to help her, but the therapy had ended with a chair hitting the nurse in the head, and he'd had to kill her too. He was her therapy. 

''That's why we thought the circus would help. Get it out of your system,'' said Mr Halliwell sharply, and he wriggled his wrists, trying to break free of the bindings. 

''It didn't work,'' said Clarissa savagely, smacking her father's hand to stop him trying to break free. Jerome took her hand again and kissing her cheek. She looked over at him, calming down slightly. She ran a hand through her ponytail and asked quietly.

''Were you ever going to explain to me what was wrong?''

''If you'd gotten better,'' said Mr Halliwell.

''She wouldn't have without the help,'' said Jerome, grinning.

''That's where I came in. With me, she's free. No  more sadness, no more pain, only the freedom to do what she wanted. So what if I did the killing. She tried to fix herself, can't you tell? But without me, it never would've worked. Ya see, all that crazy's locked up tight now. Sometimes I wonder if I shoulda let it out? But, gotta keep dollface safe.''

Clarissa leant into Jerome's side, and from her back pocket drew out a knife. He looked at her.

''Wanna do it?''

Do it. 

Clarissa blinked as the voice piped up in her head, and for a moment actually considered plunging the blade into each of her parent's hearts. She wanted to so desperately.

Now. Do it, no regrets. C'mon!

Clarissa bit her lip and then hurriedly passed the knife to Jerome. 

''Not today, Jerome.'

''Alrighty,'' he said, a chaotic smile appearing on his face as he brandished the knife. Clarissa smiled slightly, then pulled the smile back as if she hadn't wanted to.