45. Farther

"What does that even mean?" her cheekbone raised even higher as her head began to slowly pull back.

Honestly, I was surprised that I was even able to get that out. All of those familiar things trucked me at full speed, the things she had so commonly given me and then so quickly took away along with her consciousness. The breathlessness and the speechlessness, it was the same in every way. The way she brightened the world around me with every single word spoken was the exact same. Even if something felt different, was it able to carry any kind of weight if I couldn't tell what it was?

Grace, put simply, was the same as I remembered. The way the ends of her lips curled up towards the sky for the smallest reasons was still there. That smile, that ear to ear grin she showed to the those who needed it the most was like a blinding supernova torching the darkness away from it. Much like everything she did, it was a special sight to see. Yet, her best smile didn't hold a candle to her beauty when she did what she loved doing most. Playing a guitar and singing until her voice gave out.

There wasn't a more beautiful sight than watching Grace immerse herself into a song. Watching her sing and listening to that controlled, angelic voice was like being taken to another planet filled with green fields as far as the eye could see while petals whirled around her in the breeze. It wasn't a sight that could be explained with just words. The beauty she radiated and the sounds that vaulted from her when she picked up that guitar were just something that had to be seen, that had to be heard.

In that sense, Jay was the same type of person. He completely changed with that guitar in his hands and his voiced mirrored all of the pent up emotion he put into it. Even vocally, Jay was able to bounce between grit and softness in his voice, but it was still deep. They were both more talented than I could've ever dreamed of being. People like them had their own select worlds to live in, places I would never even come close to reaching or seeing through my own eyes, places I would never feel the greatness of existing within.

They were both so far ahead, yet they stayed behind and waited around for someone like me.

"It means whatever you want it to mean." I stuck out the tip of my tongue.

Grace pushed herself up from the ground and evened herself out before she bent back over, extending both of her hands to me. In that same instant, using both my own and her strength, I was on my feet and looking her in the eyes. It was a missed sight, seeing those piercing, glistening eyes every day and every night. It felt so surreal, so unrealistic. Looking at her made it feel like the impossible occurred, as though she rose from the dead.

"Hey." Grace traveled to my side and peeked over my shoulder, her hair bouncing with that carefree smile she seemed to love wearing around me. "Is your butt off limits?"

"I don't know." I let my forehead fall into her shoulder as my hands joined around the small of her back. "Why don't you see for yourself?"

"I like the so-" her hands began to slither down my stomach and around my waist until she stopped out of nowhere.

As Grace's voice and movements paused all together, the soft collision between my chin and her collarbone made it clear that she raised her head. What wasn't clear was the person that made her raise it, and her nearly peeved expression only said that she was irritated over her game of grabass being unpleasantly halted by another presence. That presence behind me was still a mystery, but it wasn't exactly a tough guess, either.

Releasing me from her lecherous hands, I was finally allowed to turn around and lay eyes on the person who interrupted Grace. For some reason, I was unsurprised to see Jay standing right in between the green of the grass and the brown of the dock. Whenever something happened, it seemed like Jay always appeared just when the smoke was clearing. In the same way I was a magnet to destruction, he very well could've been a magnet to drama.