48. Whatever (Interlude 11)

Stepping onto the walkway in front of me, the blaring music slowly became louder and louder as the bass thundered through the ground beneath me. Aside from all of the rudely parked cars and loud music, everything else about the neighborhood was completely normal, if not even a little generic. With small strides toward the door, I wasn't really sure what to do at all. I hadn't ever been to a party like this at all.

As I finally reached the door, I was confronted with something of a small predicament. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to knock or just walk inside, and that left me standing in front of the door like an idiot waiting for some sort of answer. Just as I was going to lift my arm to knock on the door, a sudden gust of cool wind hit my exposed skin, reminding me of just how little I was wearing.

In a shredded black tank top that exposed most of my stomach and a little black skirt that left next to nothing to the imagination, I was dropped off by Erin who drove off to go pick up someone else before coming back. Most of that day had been spent with her and Nathan at her apartment listening to music and doing whatever caught my interest. At some point in the afternoon Erin brought up a party, and needless to say, I was hesitant in saying anything close to yes.

After a bit of playful ribbing, she finally managed to make me agree on going. The next thing I knew, she was offering to let me borrow some of her clothes, and that was how I ended up in what was likely the most revealing outfit I'd worn up to that point in my life. I could only question what drove her to dress this way, because she hadn't been in a relationship and never seemed to be out to impress anyone else.

The weeks following that night at the beach, it seemed as though Erin was making an effort to actually be around me. Through those weeks, I learned a lot about her, Brian, and even Horse. Erin's parents had passed away in a road rage incident, where the other driver stopped in front of their car and shot them both. It was a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but it was a case that left three children to fend for themselves.

What I was surprised to learn was that she was the middle child between Horse and Lindsey. At seventeen Horse resorted to dealing drugs in an area that was cleaned out once the two gangs that ran that world in Ely vanished. It wasn't long before he was making more than he expected, allowing for him and his sisters to move into a nicer place. As he made more money, his drug variety grew and he soon became the place to go for the highest quality drugs in Ely. This brought in all the money he needed for himself and his sisters.

Reaching for the doorknob attached to the heavily thudding, large house, I was going to turn the golden circle when it suddenly opened for me, revealing Mathew Cullen with a guitar case hanging over his shoulder, a boy who usually went by Matty with almost anyone who knew him. Standing in front of him was almost as scary as even hearing his name, honestly. I, and likely everyone else, heard the violent rumors about him. He was unpredictable and constantly looking for fight, beating people into the ground for saying the wrong things. As his glare hit me from above with his tall frame, I was glued to ground right in front of him.

His tongue clicked before walking around me. "Whatever."

I could only breathe a sigh of relief as the tension he created began to dissipate, leaving me in front of the opened door. Something told me that if I made the wrong move around him, I probably wouldn't have been standing up straight. He was always with one girl, and I had no idea how she dealt with it. He had this air around him that made it feel like I was being crushed without him actually doing or saying anything. The pressure that escaped from him wasn't that of a teenage boy, it felt like it belonged in a grown man who slept behind bars.

Stepping through the frame of the door, I sifted through the crowd of strangers and familiar faces until I bumped into another towering figure dressed completely in black with chains seemingly hanging everywhere. My eyes traveled upwards and that's when I was met with the familiar bright green hair. Those crescent-shaped brown eyes perfectly encapsulated his personality, shared with that soft smile he had been wearing in front of me. While he looked at me, his finger pointed towards the keg behind him. I nodded in return only to have him grab one of the nearby blue cups and slowly fill it.