Prologue

Dark clouds drifted across the moon, veiling the bright light in fine, grey mist. All was quiet. Through the window of a glittering estate, a faint blue glow shone out from underneath the covers of a massive blanket.

"Is everyone asleep?"

"Yes. But they're all sensitive to noise."

"Well then, Mister Vacker, you'll just have to be extra quiet."

"That's Alvar to you, Mister Pyren."

"Just go."

A thirteen-year-old boy peeked out from under the blanket just as his imparter went dark. He tiptoed out of his bedroom and into the master.

"Mom? Dad?"

There was no response. Alvar allowed himself a smug smile as he crept towards a small. wooden crib. Peering over the side, he jumped back in surprise. Glancing back into the crib once more, what he had seen beforehand was confirmed.

The baby stared up at him with her wide, intelligent eyes. She reached up at him, boosting herself into a sitting position. "You're taking me somewhere, aren't you?" she asked.

Her voice was soft and sweet, like honey flowing through her lips. She was already sporting the crisp accent that both her father and her other brother had. After a few seconds of silence, her forehead creased.

"Tell me," she demanded.

Alvar didn't respond.

"I'll start crying. It will wake up everyone in this house."

"All right, all right," Alvar said, looking flustered. "I'm here to take you somewhere else."

"Where?" she questioned, her turquoise eyes narrowing. Although she was just a few days old, she had picked up on pretty much everything she needed to know about the Lost Cities.

"An organization called the Neverseen. We are trying to stop the evil Black Swan," Alvar replied, feeding her the lines Fintan had given him earlier in the day.

"Why did you give everyone sleeping serum?"

"W-w-well," Alvar stammered, trying to figure out how she knew that.

"You don't want them to know you're taking me," she said, coming to the realization rather quickly. "You want to make them forget me."

Her eyes welled up with tears, shining in the small bit of moonlight that had passed through the small curtains of the windows.

"Aila," Alvar whined. "I have no choice. I'm sorry. But you'll like your life at Neverseen! You haven't really met our parents. They're evil. I only want what's best for you."

Aila pursed her lips, before answering, "Okay. I'm putting my trust into you. But you'd better not let me down."

Alvar's heart melted a bit as he stared into her innocent, naive face. "Let's go before they wake up," he said, hoisting her up into his arms.

He ran outside, towards the entrance gate to Everglen, not noticing the light that had flickered momentarily inside the house. Opening the gate, he let in two figures who rushed towards the house.

"Don't worry," he whispered to Aila. "They're just going to erase the memories of you that our family has. You were kept a secret, so we don't have to worry about anyone but our parents, Fitz, and Biana knowing about you."

"Why was I kept a secret?"

"Our parents are jealous of the power you have. Now go to sleep. I'll wake you when we get to the base."

Aila stared at him with big, round eyes, before resting her head on his shoulder and falling asleep.

Alvar's imparter lit up, glowing in the darkness. "I have her," he whispered. "She has agreed to come."

"Good," Fintan's raspy voice breathed. "Did you check to make sure no one is awake?"

"Umm..." Alvar replied, looking back at the house.

A shadowy figure stood at Fitz's window, seemingly peering out at him.

"Tell the washers to get him first!" Fintan hissed. "If you make another careless mistake like this, you will pay for it Mister Vacker."

"I told you already! It's Alvar!"

He shut off his imparter and held a crystal up to the moon, using its light to whisk both him and Aila far, far away.

A/N: Hey y'all!!! This is Kurpy. Guess who's ancient??? ME!!!!! It's my bIRtHdaY!!!!!!

*clears throat*

Anywaaaaaaaays.... Hopefully you liked this better than the prologue for the original version. I kind of filled in some plot holes, like reasons why only the Vackers had to get washed and stuff.

BAI!!!!!!

- Kurpy